Server Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Fergal1982, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, Ive been having some issues i was hoping you guys could help with...

In the past week, my server has crashed out on my no less than 3 times, with twice being tonight alone. DNS and DHCP goes offline, and as such im unable to do much, and the server refuses to respond. The only resolution is a hard-reset.

I've checked the event logs (all of them) for any signs of errors occurring around the time when the crash occurs, but theres nothing. some informationals, a warning or two, but no errors. and the warning was about time synchronisation issues and the fact that the PDC in root domain (this server) isnt set up to synchronise its time and so is the network authority for time (or words along those lines).

Just to let you guys know, i have two servers, server1, and server2 (a virtual server on server1). neither servers event logs are reporting anything.

How can i diagnose this issue?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's a tough one Ferg. I wuld run DCDIAG at this point (a Windows 2000 util) and check the output. I'm not sure if it's the same name util for server 2003 but I am sure you can work that out.

Does it happen at the same time of day?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Fergal1982

looks alright to me there

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Fergal1982

stand corrected. only one bit failed

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Power or PSU failure ? Unusual for nothing to write to event log prior to shutdown/reboot.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

NTDS issue of some type...

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1457529.php

...it could caused by a few things.

The obvious one is did you set the clock forward by more than five minutes on the DC??
    [thinking that ldap/kerberos borked as a result]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. Fergal1982

Damn. It keeps crashing out. ive managed to effect a shortterm resolution in setting my router as a secondary DNS server in the setup. but i cant see any reason thats causing this.

I've even tried going into setup but it doesnt appear to actually accept it. im going to have to try it again, possibly blitz the system and rebuild, see if that resolves the issue. otherwise it could likely be a hardware issue but im not getting any errors thrown up anywhere.

It is coming around about the time for the end of the 6 month evaluation on the install, that wouldnt affect the system would it?

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No mate, the software should work as expected until it expires. You might want to try re- installing over itself, ie an upgrade (but with the same OS). This could fix things like an XP repair does and in the case of Windows 2000, it will reset the time limit.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Fergal1982

its server 2k5 so im not sure if it would still reset. still, i might give it a go.

I actually went in and disabled VMWare. So far the server has been up ever since and is still responding to pings. So it could be a related issue to that. I suppose it could just be related to available resources (its not exactly a powerhouse machine).