Server core

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by RichGK, Apr 12, 2012.

1. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

I'm struggling to get server core to install on my VMWare 7 based study environment (won't show up during installation) and was wondering how essential is it in the grand scheme of the 70-640 exam?

I've got the normal server version installed OK. It's just the core that's causing me issue and preventing me from getting going with my studies! :(

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certainly when I sat the course and exams I didn't really have too much to do with Core edition. As long as you know about it and know why you would use it then you're probably going to be fine.

As for Core not loading in your VMware workstation environment, I would be more concerned with that then whether or not Core should be used or not (after all Core is simply the OS without the nice GUI interface).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

I have actually got it to install but only the 32bit R1 version! I have two install disks 32bit R1 and 64bit R2. I managed to get most of the way through the lesson until I needed to actually setup AD DS with dcpromo at which point it informed me the functional level wasn't high enough.

As it's just a few pages in the whole of the study guide I think I'll say I've done it rather than set server01's functional level at R1.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP