Server+ - Anyone taken this? Useful?

Discussion in 'Server+' started by mattwest, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey all.

Saw there werent any post here so i thought i'd add one.

I've got Server+, found it ok, but really enjoy studying for it as it was slightly different to the other certs i've taken. I found it quite interesting.

Has anyone else taken this? Or thinking of taking it? Anyone found it useful?

Just wondering!

Cheers

8)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I haven't taken it and don't plan to but I did study the Cram Exam textbook while I was writing a piece on servers. The consensus opinion is that the Server+ and Network+ are more or less equal but emphasize a different skill set. Network+ certifies that the person has a level of understanding of networks equal to about 12 to 18 months of experience. Server+ says the same, only about server hardware, operating systems, and applications. Server+ can be thought of as an amplified A+ plus some networking thrown into the mix. If you're going for your MCSA/MCSE, The A+ plus either the Server+ or the Network+ cert equal one elective.

The current version of the Server+ test retires the fourth quarter of this year so if you want to take the exam under the current parameters, you'd better hurry.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah i used my A+ and Network+ for the MCSA.

I'd also agree that that Server+ might just be a heavier version of the A+.

But at the time i was studying (a few years ago) it was nice to learn about things that affect the server room and RAID etc.

I do think it is very expensive to take and might not be worth as much as the A+ or Network+, but if your new(ish) to IT and Network Management i'd say at least read the material.

My 2 Cents!

:D

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sometimes, even if you don't take a certification test, having some of the materials around to consult isn't a bad idea. The current Server+ material is dated (no mention of iSCSI, NAS, SAN, 64-bit servers, etc...) which is why it's getting a face lift this fall/winter. I'd get the new study material just to have all the basic info about servers in one text. Never know when having it as a reference would come in handy. My 2 cents as well. :wink:

5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah i couldnt agree more... a good bookshelf of materials is always handy as you never know when you might need something.

But at least these days more and more is out there on the net just in case you cant find it in your books!

Glad to see Server+ getting a revamp, it hasnt changed for a while!

:)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Bah tell that to the shipping company who will be shipping my 'library' half way round the world, it aint cheap!! LOL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Books are heavy! :wink:

8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree, books can be a pain in the a*s to move! :(

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol bring on the e readers that are clearer than paper!!!
    that would save me a few hundred in shipping :P

10. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Why are you having to ship all your books then? moving jobs?

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

err moving country :)

12. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

New job? Different company?

Or same company and promotion?

Where u moving from and too....?

Just interested!

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

err not job related, girlfriend related lol
    moving to tripville!
    well, actually about 20 mins down the road lol

not sure how job stuff will pan out, gotta wait a few months for a work permit and stuff from the state department doh, gotta live on my savings till then, thank god for the good exchange rate hehe

14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Ah i see.... the woman dragging you all over the world! :wink: :D

Fair play tho, enjoy!

I'm finding it cheaper to buy stuff in the US, pay the shipping and its STILL cheaper than buying it here.

Gotta love the exchange rates!

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

not really, the woman IS the other side of the world, im just moving a little closer lol

16. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Ah..... :cry: :wink: :D

17. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Having read the Server+ Bible I agree that this exam seems to be a blown up A+ exam. I think CompTIA are milking the money cow with this one...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hopefully, that'll change with the revision. To be fair, the A+ is designed to test your knowledge of *desktop* hardware and OS support and Server+ is designed to test the same stuff on servers. Naturally, there's going to be an overlap but you typically don't have to deal with RAID 5, incremental backups, and multiple CPUs on a desktop machine.

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Gotta agree with Trip here, Slypie - you'll see (or would have seen, now that their out of date) similar overlaps between MS's 70-210 W2K Professional and 70-215 Server exams,

I guess thats in the nature of a progressive course of certification - IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I just feel that maybe the Server+ & Network+ exam could of been combined into two exams to gain the certification like the A+ is. I know this way you get another certification out of it, but too much of the Server+ exam seems to be covered in the A+ and Network+ exams though not in great depth I'll admit. I am going to take the exam to get the certification but just feel that having read the Server+ Bible I already seem to know most of it through reading my Sybex A+ and Network+ books. I do see your point Jakamoko that there is going to be overlap on exams but it's just too similar to other CompTIA certs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011