server 2k8 prep

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dales, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Been thinking quite hard about this one. after passing the 271 and starting to study the 272 I became rather uninterested in it all, I suppose its mostly because it centers around office and as nice as it is to know all that stuff, generally if theres a problem with it you reinstall or more drastically reimage the machine. It also hasnt helped with my new job who use netware and all the machines are basically in a workgroup.

So when my copy of technet mag plopped through the door the other day with the beta of 2k8 I stumbled upon an idea. I want to start studying for the relevant 2k8 exams, so i've bought myself the only book on amazon for 2k8 at the moment and installed the os on a couple of virtual pc's to check it out. basically I'm hoping to give myself a couple of years to pass whatever it is that MS put out then hopefully there will be a few companies looking to migrate.

anyone tried 2k8 yet. whay do you think. I'm quite impressed with it especially NAP although not sure about the server core

Im quite pleased that i've got the learning bug back, have be learning quite alot at work (especially linux) but have been slightly disheartened because most of the netware skills will be useless if i leave as not many places use it any more, and to be honest I can easily see why!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like you got a good idea I'd say go for it and more grease to your elbows:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...if your company uses NetWare, what good will studying Windows Server 2008 do you? If your answer is that you plan on leaving that company eventually... then what do you think those companies will be using for operating systems and applications, if not XP/Vista and Office?

Stick with 70-272. Besides, Server 2008 is MONTHS away (perhaps even a year away) from being released, as are the corresponding exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

I was impressed with Windows Server 2008 full version (I haven't tried core). But to be honest, IT professional certs (MS/Cisco) should reflect the skills and job responsibilities that you have.

I'm not trying to put you off studying for them, if you really want to go for it no-one is going to stop you, just letting you know what MS says is the requirements (and what I believe). You state that you work with Netware, if that's the case, why don't you study for Novell/Netware certification. You may get more benefit out of it as you work with the technology in your new job. See here for the Novell cert page.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Core server is just a server, but with no (better almost none) gui applets installed. There is no taskbar, no explorer, just a command box. This is done for security reasons and to have less overhead on you server. Control is done remote, but you could install a number of tools on it (DHCP and so on). If you type oclist in the prompt you'll get a list of all Optional Components (hence the name) and if they are installed or not.
    Joining a core computer to the domain you'll use netdom. Giving IP-addresses you'll use netsh.
    Core is not for the clickerdiclick admins.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well its about time - you learn all those commands whilst studying and now you can use them! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You learn commands whilst studying? only one that I really ever learn't was the /? command! :biggrin

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies, as I say I think netware is a dying art form and it would appear so far that work are sending me on netware courses, so I've got that area sown up i think. I'm loving the linux stuff that i'm learning, but I think this particular role is a rung on the ladder for me. and as with most jobs once your in thats it theres nowhere to go.

I have been considering things quite hard recently and I have been thinking to continue the 272 but with the job I do now, its not an entry level IT role anymore so it wouldnt really benefit me to continue on that path (this is my 3rd IT role now and have been doing commercial IT for 4 years but private fiddling for neigh on 15 years now).

My other trail of thought is I could continue the MCSA route but with MS 2k8 in the pipeline I thought I might as well get a head start, as Im happy enough with my level of knowledge for fiddling with 2k3 servers. Also now I've got my sticky mitts on 2k8 why not start learning about it.

sorry if this seems a bit rambly, I think I just needed to write my thoughts down, to get a new direction going.

I'll shut up now and go away!

Sorry....

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There's no reason to apologise, if you do decide to go for the MCSA, there is always the upgrade exam to upgrade to 2k8 :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

While certification is good for learning new things, that's not its primary purpose... the primary purpose for certification is to show current (and, more importantly, FUTURE) companies what you're already able to do. Thus, if you forego any certification for Server 2000, XP, or Server 2003, you won't have a piece of paper in your possession that shows that you can administer those technologies. Companies will be using Windows XP and Server 2003 for many, many years to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see companies use Windows 2000 for a while yet.

Another reason I'd urge you to continue down the route your on is that you can upgrade the 2003 MCSA and MCSE certifications to roughly equivalent 2008 MCTS and MCITP exams by taking one or two exams. You can't similarly "downgrade" from 2008 to 2003.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Oooh Im so confused! I think at the point of my original post I was a little confused by a few things especially to do with my new job, but I've thought about it quite hard (yes some more) and have decided to keep going for the MCSA 2k3. I think I'm ready for my 272 and not far away from the 270 so that once those are out of the way I can continue and do the 290 and 291. I think part of my "problem" is that I was getting a bit fed up with the client material. the 272 office stuff isnt really what I wanted as a goal of taking on certifications. But I've got some new wind in my sails and will now continue marching on towards the certification greatness! Also I have just found a test center in Reading which is much closer to me than trapsing all the way to wokingham. Thanks everyone.

12. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

That sound good to me.
    The problem with all the windows server was that everybody felt
    authorized to put their hands in.
    I had problem sometimes with some installation becouse:" My friend
    has installed that on the server, He is a computer expert, has a computer at home you know ?".
    Should be like Linux, if you don't know what you are doing, just keep your hands in the pocket.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  13. Tinus1959

just a small question to annoy you:twisted: you closed the command prompt by accident. How to get it back?

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have to agree that Netware is dying in the sense that Novell is no longer going to support it and no longer working on newer versions, having switched to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. I suppose if your company is to continue using Novell products, then learning Linux would make more sense.

On the other hand, even if you don't intend on pursuing an MS cert based on 2K8 right now, it doesn't mean you can't study up on it a bit, just to get some experience. Since CF is a certification based forum, we tend to think of studying only in terms of certification but in fact, keeping up on the latest trends and technologies is what people in IT have to do all the time.

I posted a link to Microsoft's Windows Server 2008 Learning Portal in this news story so if you haven't had a look already, you will probably want to...just for giggles if nothing else. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Are you talking about win2008 core ?
    Well, having no prompt i need to be able to run cmd.exe for to have one. All i can think is ctrl+alt+canc, open task manager and run cmd.exe.:rolleyes: Am i right ?
    The second options would be to post a question hoping in your answer.:biggrin

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Titus, if the thing boots to a command prompt, you wouldn't be able to close it. If you typed exit at the command prompt, I think the worse it would do was log you out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. Tinus1959

I guess you mean Ctrl+alt+del. Another option is Ctrl+shift+esc to open taskmanager. Correct solution.

18. Tinus1959

I think you misread my post. In core you get the blue backgroud with a command promt but no startbutton and no taskbar.

Oh, and my name is Tinus:biggrin

19. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

That is news for me.
    Always something to learn !:oops:

20. Tinus1959

Mankind is never to dumb to learn:biggrin