Server 2008 GP preferences

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, Jan 26, 2009.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I set up a server and an XP client PC over the weekend in VMWare to test things out prior to roll out of an actual network upgrade.

Having installed the server as a DC and created a GP for Pupil users, I then configured the GP preferences so a network drive would be mapped.

I installed the XP client extensions on the client and the network drive popped up perfectly first time.

My simple question is whether the clientside extensions are necessary in XP for the Windows 2008 Server GP preferences features to work?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

To answer my own question I guess one way to find out would be to build a second XP VM without the GP extension installed and see if I pick up the mapped drive with it

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Because Server 2008 has a lot more gpo settings than Server 2003 the CSEs are needed to fully utilise the gpo settings. If not then you only have the 'subset' of 2003 gpo settings that you can configure for XP clients. I may have it wrong but that's the way I understand it (at the moment).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685