Server 2003 & Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Jaffa, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted.

I'm just about to start studying for my 290 (server 2003) exam and wanted to know whether I can run virtual pc on my computer running both server 2003 and windows xp as a client simulating a network to test things like policies and other services

Thanks for any advice

J.

Certifications: CCNA MCP XP,SVR NT4 WKS, SRV ITIL, ACA
    WIP: MCSA 2003 Security
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We now have a brand new Virtual Computing forum for such questions but I suppose it works here, too.

To answer your question, I can't see why not. Assuming you have a Windows host machine and sufficient hard drive space and RAM, you can create two or more virtual machines in Virtual PC and load Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP as virtual machines. They should install just as if you were installing the OSes directly on a hardware computer.

In fact, I can run up to three VMs in VMWare (yes, I know...different software), limited only by the amount of RAM I have on my host. If I try to run too many VMs at once, I start paging and the response times get pretty slow.

In my opinion, virtualization is the way to go when studying. Incidently, you can create any number of virtual machines and combine them in different networking formats.

The VMWare Beta 5 has the ability to create "teams" of computers...essentially, each team is a separate network and instead of starting each individual VM when you want to use it, you can start the teams and that particular virtual network and all of its VMs will power up simultaneously. Pretty kewl.

I hope that answered your question (and then some).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go.

Out of interest has any one had a go at 290 recently??? I have had very little hands on with it (lots of 2000 server hands-on though). Is it a hard one??

J[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA MCP XP,SVR NT4 WKS, SRV ITIL, ACA
    WIP: MCSA 2003 Security