Server 2003 Printer

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all again,

having a nightmare here, if you've read my earlier post "Network nightmare" you'll know why.

Ok, the new IT manager dosent really know much about AD...:eek: Great! its getting better by the hour!

Anyway, im trying my best here, can you guys point me right. Just had an A3 colour printer delivered, taking place of the old one which is shared between who i dont know. They want the new one installed and shared between the: warehouse and 5 other specific users. Im just not sure where in AD i do this? Maybe im selling myself a bit short here, i usually sort stuff out but im having to do these things myself now my security blanket (thanks Leehaa) has gone.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ummm, load the printer driver cd in 2003 then share: \\7450 blah blah, then go to the users and direct only them to that share/ or can i assign specific users in AD? If i tick list in directory, is that better for users?

3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi Kat,

Not sure if the printer has a built in NIC, but if so assign it an IP address, netmask, gateway etc as normal

Install the printer on the server as a local printer (create a new TCP IP port for the IP address above)

Share it and list in the directory - restrict permissions if required (you can always do that once its working)

Clients can then either search the directory for the printer, or install directly by going to start > run > \\server\printsharename

Typed this quickly as I'm leaving work, hope it helps.

Post any questions up and I'll read later on

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey Kat,

There are multiple ways of doing this. You can create a group in AD and add the proper users to that group and then in the printer permissions options add the group. That way everytime you want to add or remove someone from that printer you can just go in AD and remove them from the group. This is the method I use at where I work.

You can also add the indavidual users to the printer.

I just like the centralized management thats why I created a group in AD and added that group to the printer. That way its simpler to use at the same time.

Edit: like BrizoH said, make sure you have a proper static IP assigned to the printer, along with mask, gateway, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Kat,

You can not share a printer in AD. What you can do in AD is publish the share so users can find it more easy, and you could use group policies to 'regulate' the printer users.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Great, thanks guys, will do it tomorrow and let you know.
    Kat