Server 2003 MCP to 2008 equivalent

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Richie1888, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

Hi Guys

I getting ready to move onto the server 2008 modules to try and gain a MCITP: Server Administrator.

As I have the 2003 MCP (Exam 70-290) is there an upgrade path to Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator (Exam 70-646) or am I better just starting from scratch ?

Thanks

Richie

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, until Windows 2003 extended support finishes in 2014, I would say finish your MCSA first and then do the MCITP: SA upgrade exams. That way you'll be dual qualified.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice here!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

.If you want to upgrade MCSE 2003 to MCITP Server Administrator, you are required to pass 70-649 and 70-646.
    I once read a post "Best way to Upgrade from MCSA 2003 to MCITP SA" said that :the upgrade exams are harder,as the upgrade exams contain a couple of exams .far harder than the individual exams.
    So in my ipinion ,you can start from the scratch.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That is inaccurate. The upgrade exams are composed of questions found on the individual exams. I know from experience; I've taken both.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

the reason I was wanting to upgrade is because my company intends to move onto server 2008 within the next year.

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  7. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

maybe you are right on your own existence .most of my friends experiecing 70-649 or 70-648 think the upgrade exams are harder than individual exam .

especially 70-649 is believed as the hardest exam.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Depending on what you have already, there should be time to complete the MCSA and start the 2008 route too :)

The MCITP route is more role based than the older MCSA, imo.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security