Server 2003 Internet Restrictions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jccurtis, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jccurtis

jccurtis New Member

Okay everybody: I have a Windows 2003 Server (DSL Connection) and thin-client workstations. I want to enable a logon policy and restrict internet acess to 1-2 logins. Much help appreciated.

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i don't get the "restrict internet acess to 1-2 logins" part. :blink

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Do you mean that you only want the clients to be able to open a maximum of two IE windows? :blink

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think he might mean only letting say 2 people access the internet at one time???

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. jccurtis

jccurtis New Member

I know that right now, the workstations just come on and no one needs to login. I need to change that so they must login and they do not get internet access.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is your server in a domain environment? :blink

also, what does the server do at present? :blink

7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

to block the internet access, depending on your environment, you could configure the relevant comps with wrong default gateways, either manually or through dhcp, or block those IPs (on the router) with a firewall.
    or see here.

for the automatic logon:
    click Start > and then click Run. type control userpasswords2, and then click OK. in the dialog box that appears, enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

or

click Start > Run and type rundll32 netplwiz.dll,ClearAutoLogon.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hmmm.... You really need to give more background information. How do things work now? How does your internet access work now? Do you mean you have only 1 or 2 users that you want to connect to the internet, or do you mean that you want to allow all users to access the internet but throttle internet access so that only 1 or 2 at a time can connect?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think you can do this with TS on a standard 2003 server. You certainly could if you were using ISA (Internet security and acceleration server). ISA comes with SBS 2003 enterprise version or it is available as a stand alone product.

When the firewall client is installed on the clients, ISA can restrict web access to specific users or groups and do other funky stuff like re-directs and blocking or allowing only certain sites.

I am sure there are open source alternatives out there too.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)