Server 2003 Books

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by zimbo, Feb 2, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I started studying for 70-290 today and was looking to get a reference book or two to help me out... Was looking at a range of books and a range of steep prices! :dry :blink

Windows Server 2003 Inside Out

Windows Server 2003 Administrator's Companion

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit

Now the second book... a 2nd edition is due out end of this month...

If anyone has used them or knows anything about them please share with the rest of us your opinion. My level of knowledge isnt beginner nor advanced... but i do know more than average at this stage from experiementing on VMWare so please take this into account. Also i heard the resource kit is more helpful for actual admins already in a job and not for someone starting out.. is this true?

Thanks guys!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Zimbo,

Here is what I would recommend to you. I don't have the 2003 resource kit but I do have the 2000 resource kit and I have found it to be invaluable. You get a total of 7 books in this package so it's a pretty good deal. If you're going on to your MCSE you'll find this package to be helpful all the way through.

I know most of this can be found online, but I'm someone who really likes having a book to look at, mark up, underline, etc... it's a lot easier for me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks man for the input...

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thought about trying Trips book?

I'm sure he'd recommend it!!! :p

Actually I've just ordered it and am looking forward to giving it a read. :)

5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

i recieved a copy of Trip's book only a couple of days ago.

Not had time to take a look yet,but i'm looking forward to havin a read :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. helios

helios Bit Poster

I have the Server 2003 Inside Out book, and it is really good. Deffo only a reference book, but very well done. I'd recommend any of the Stank books. I have a few of them, and they're all really good.

Certifications: A+, Net+, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA:M
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

The four best things someone learning a Microsoft certification needs, in no order, are:

1. Approved [MS] or recognised study guides [Sybex or Syngress]...resource kits are not much help here.
    2. A work or home study lab.
    3. A Microsoft Official Curriculum course. [MOC]
    4. Test software from Selftest or Transcender [preferabley after the lab and MOC]

HTH

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey Zimbo,

I haven't gotten around to getting the following book yet but I think a few people on here have given it a big thumbs up. I would imagine it would come in very useful for the 290/291.

Inside Active Directory: System Admin Guide

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I actually got the inside out book - great read as a refernece book! I always like having something non-related to the exam to have a read too!

Thanx for the input ppl! 8)

10. h1tm4n

h1tm4n Bit Poster

I have nothing but praise for this book:

Mark Minasi Windows 2003

Not directly exam related but very comprehensive and written in a nice style.

I believe there is also a 2003 networking offering as well.

What is Trip's book called (or ISBN number)?

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)