server 2000 and my router..

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rymetymeuk, Dec 4, 2005.

1. rymetymeuk

rymetymeuk Bit Poster

Hi All

I am new to this and have installed VMachine, and have created my first virtual machine with server 2000 on it. I have a Dlink adsl modem router and have been trying to figure out how to get server 2000 to connect to the net.

I have put the info from the router, such as preferred DNS server and also the IP address of the router in the network connection TCP/IP settings section but im having no joy.
    I was thinking that it could be something to do with the router being the DCHP server and i need to change that part to the virtual pc???

im sorry if this sounds thick, but im really new to the techy side of networking (XP is easy!!)..

is there an installation guide anywhere online? one that explains everything? im studying MCSE but this stuff is a long way off from where im at!

many thanks all

:)

Certifications: none so far!!
    WIP: MCSE, MCSA, A+, Security
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey rymetymeuk,

On the virtual machine, set the network connection to gain an IP automatically, and leave everything else blank. Reboot, and it should pick up the connection first time.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Assuming this is VMware, when you created the Windows 2000 Server virtual machine, did you make sure you selected "bridged networking" when you set up the network component? If not, you may have isolated your virtual machine from your "real" network.

I think you can power off your virtual machine and check the settings. As Gav said, once you make sure you are using bridged networking, you can set your server to accept a dynamic IP address from your dsl device's DHCP server...then you should be good to go.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. rymetymeuk

rymetymeuk Bit Poster

hey thanks for the responses...im going to check now. i kinda stumbled through the installation as im not au fait with it all yet! :p

5. rymetymeuk

rymetymeuk Bit Poster

ok i checked it:

it is bridged..also i changed the settings to auto detect settings and it's still not connecting. i can however connect to the router. therefore im assuming i need to go and relook at the router settings...!

should i make the virtual pc on my domain, i mean the domain name that is in the router's settings page? ive checked the router and i had an error message earlier saying i needed to make the IP address static..

thanks peeps :)

6. rymetymeuk

rymetymeuk Bit Poster

i apologise, it now works!

thank you all

:)