Resolved Server 08 R2, WDS, Win 7, Vmware Workstation

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by rockstar6181, Dec 19, 2010.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

** home lab **

I have installed Server 08 R2 into a Virtual machine within VMware. I installed AD services, DNS, DHCP and WDS (along with boot/ image wims.

I then created a blank VM which I booted up pressing F12 which then found the server and started to load files. I get about 3 mins into it and then get an error

WdsClient: An error occurred while communicating with the Windows Deployment Services server. Please check to ensure that the server is operational and that the necessary ports are open on the server's firewall. Server name xxxxx

I have turned off the firewall on the server just in case. I also pressed Shift and F10 and did an ipconfig to which I got a sirprising outcome - my machine as far as I can tell has a Ip address totally different to what is being shown in the DHCP console.. any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Did you include the drivers with your image? i.e, NIC, etc..

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

thanks for the reply - I havent installed any extra drivers.

Within WMware I have the network adapter sat to NAT - should I change this to private network? as I noticed the Ip that I am getting is linked into the range within there and not the range I have asigned within DHCP (although when I boot the machine it does find the server and dhcp says its gives the right ip out/ looks like it then changes between that bit and the time the error comes up).

4. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

have set my VMs to Bridged within the Network card settings from NAT and its working now..

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Cool, glad you got it working.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one.. changed thread flag to *resolved*

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)