Sending to undisclosed recipients

Discussion in 'Software' started by danielno8, May 20, 2009.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Hey folks,

So someone wants to send to undisclosed recipients, so i was just making sure of the procedure to make sure all works.

So i created the contact with my domain email address, and changed display name to "undisclosed-recipients"

Then put that contact in the TO: field and BC my hotmail address but it still just shows email address rather than "undisclosed recipients"

This is a more in depth look at the steps i took

Anyone know what i'm missing here?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

isnt is BCC?

Edit: Never mind. For some reason I thought you were scripting this.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. danielno8

The only way this works at the minute is by putting in the TO field:

Undisclosed-Recipients <fakeemailaddress>

Get a non-deliverable for the fake email but all BCC recieve the email.

Would love to know the reason/workaround so that i can put in a genuine company email address in the TO field though!

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Create a distribution list called undisclosed-recipients and put all the legit email addresses in there. Send the email to yourself and BCC undisclosed-recipients.

I think..... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup that's what I would do, same as sparky. Perhaps email it to myself and then to your distribution group.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep same as Sparky too, works for me :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. danielno8

Using Sparky's method, the recipient wouldn't see "undisclosed-recipients" in the TO: field, only my own email address.

Thanks for the replies guys.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well create a distribution list called undislosed recipients and put your email address in it. Put that in the TO: field. Then put all the legit email addresses in the BCC field (or use a distribution list)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. danielno8

^ that is exactly what i was doing at the start. However, when using my email address it displayed the name as is set in AD, rather than using the "display as" setting i specified in the new contact for my email address i had created.

So my workaround was put a fake email address instead of one which is referenced in the GAL (i.e. my own) (basically what you just posted)

Daniel

10. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

I think maybe I'm mis-understanding the problem, but I'll go ahead and put this out there just in case.

You want to be able to send an emai and have the folks recieving it see an offcial address(not a fake one) from your company versus the sending address of the email account used to send it. In this case, your account. You have the BCC part down, that's trivial.

Here is yet another way to do it.

1) Compose new email in outlook.
    2) From the options menu on the new email, select the "From" field, or "View From", I forget sometimes, to many versions of outlook and doing this from memory.
    3) Choose the GAL entry you created that you WANT your BCC'ed members to see as the from address when they recieve the email.
    4) In the TO field, choose the distribution group you want to use, be sure to hide the group membership membership in AD so they can't see it, or alternatly BCC to this group so they can't see the group DL name/email.

For step 2, be sure to give yourself Sand As permissions(Securit tab for the AD object, you have to use the Advanced View from the view menu in ADUC, there is a reason why I'm saying do it that way versus using the more typical Send on Behalf of, just dont' want to type a book) on the mailbox/group/contact etc. so that it works.

Doing those steps will give you complete control over who sees what and whom. Be compassionate if i missed a step, the general outline is right but it's from memory so maybe I missed something.

Hope that helps.

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure