Sending speculative CVs to companies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

How many of you out there send out speculative CVs? Any success?

Personally, I've always felt a bit uncomfortable about doing so. My gut feeling is that they'd either go in the bin or in some sort of seemingly bottomless filing cabinet.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Like I said before, you could get lucky.

If your CV lands on a hiring manager's desk on a Monday morning just after he's heard the news that his entire IT team has been wiped out in a bizarre accident over the weekend and he's just discovered that he can't get his emails - then fair play to you.

I don't want to say 'don't bother' because we all have to have some hope in life.
    But the reality is, at the moment people are worrying about how to get rid of people more than they are about taking them on.

Keeping CVs 'on file' never works either, I've tried it before.
    I either lose them, or forget that I had them when I do want to recruit someone.
    I tend to think 'oh, I got that two months ago. They're bound to be working by now.'

Sorry, that's a bit negative, isn't it?

:(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Not at all, I'd rather someone tell it to me straight.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

On a slightly more positive note:
    I was told recently that 80% of jobs aren't advertised.
    The whole world knows about those that are advertised so the competition is stiff.

My local carers office said they would pay for printing and postage for a speculative mailout so it's something I'm going to try once I've got my MCDST sewn up. If all it's going to cost me is a little time finding target companies and putting together a decent CV and cover letters then it's worth a shot, imo.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd do it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!