Sending CV Directly to Companies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Sep 28, 2011.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I was just wondering how many people had been successful in getting a new job (or even just an interview) with companies just by submiting your CV on the off chance? It was something I was considering but didn't know if it was worth it top be honest.

Thanks,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Honestly? I wouldn't bother, most hiring managers will be asking agents to send current CVs and very rarely keep on file CV's for perusal at a later date (after all CV's are out of date very quickly if you have a new role or experience.

In the past 14 years of working in IT I can't actually recall a time where my boss has gone to a file cabinet and said.. "I know let's call X as he sent his CV in to me last year"

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I agree with Simon, any CVs received would more likely go straight to the trash.

You could look for vacencies on particular company websites and send the CV, or perhaps check on LinkedIn and then send CVs. But I wouldn't randomly send a CV to companies without knowing their situation.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

To be honest that is what I thought, the only reason I ask really is that I had a call earlier from an agecy and the lady aksed if I had done this and seemed quite surprised that I hadn't. Bit odd.

Thanks,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I had a friend who had difficulties landing a job after graduation, he sent a letter of introduction to a lot of companies offering his services for free for a month trial, although he got a lot of rejections (and even more didnt even respon....... somebody accepted and after a month, they decided to put him on the payroll. Although this wasn't an IT role there is no reason it couldn't have been.

If your unemployed and already doing as much as you can to get a job through job adverts and agencies then why not attempt to contact companies directly, whats the worst that can happen :dry I reckon there will be a greater success with smaller companies as communication flow is generally better and easier to contact someone who has a say in the matter, and they are often not bound by constricting policies!

Asterix

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Asterix's idea is a good one - if you have nothing to lose by giving a month of your time free then approach them directly.

As with the others, it would be a waste of time (mostly) - if its a big company then they'll use recruitment agencies - saves (or so they think) money and time. They'll want to fill one position, they'll get the agency to send a load of CVs over, those who catch their attention, the agency contacts, you turn up and interview - the actual amount of work done by the company is minimal.

I think it sucks as most recruitment agents couldn't tell the difference between a toilet and a kitchen let alone anything in the terms of technical specifications of MCDST or MCITP etc.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293