Send & Receive Instantly in Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Mar 17, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi all I came across a question in an exam I had recently about receiving email instantly when going into outlook or outlook express. I've had a look at the software and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this apart from lowering the time that outlook looks for new emails am I doing something wrong?

Cheers in Advance

Michael :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well Outlook can if its connected to an exchange server
    but not if your connecting remotley to a Pop3 server, as you have to establish a temporary connection to download your mail from the pop3 server

however sending mail is usually pretty instant
    once it drops into the outbox an smtp session should be established immediatly

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheers for that Phoenix. If it is connected to an exchange server do you create a rule to receive emails instantly or do you click a button to do this? Sorry if this sounds thick but we use Lotus Notes which IMAO is the worst piece of software I've ever used...:( I want to shoot the person who thought it would be a good idea to use this piece of Sh*t..:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nope, if you have set up an 'exchange account' rather than a pop3 account the mail will just appear in your box as it arrives, as you will be connected to an exchange mailbox store, and the mails realllly sitting on the exchange server
    so no worries with buttons and stuff :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0