Selling myself right

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jan 24, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK folks , ive just applied for 2 jobs , one as a data entry clerk and the other as a junior support engineer. To be honest ive got no qualifications and ideally id lke the junior support job as it seems a lot more interesting . Now how would i go about applying to these jobs in future ?

With the data entry clerk id get bored after 3 months (ish) but saying to them after 3 months id like to do something else wouldnt really look good on my cv (if i left) or wash well with them if i asked them for a better job?

The junior support job would be great and as its a junior role i really cant be expected to know a lot of the stuff. Id like some lines from you clever people that i could throw in when i apply , just so that i dont come across as really cheeky etc . Cheers folks. :oops:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

'If' you get selected for an interview you have already passed the first hurdle. They think that you may have something that they'd like, and now it is up to you to prove to them that you are the right person for the job.

You must appear to be confident, but not over confident, as over confidence can come across as arogance.

You say that you have no qualifications, don't let this be a downer, if you get to the interview stage they will already know this from you application. Try and turn this to your advantage, mention why you have no qualifications, what you are currently studying towards, and where you hope to be in the future.

There are no 'one liners' that can really help you to land a position.

8)

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think I've mentioned this before, but concentrate on what you have got rather than worry about what you haven't.

Even the dullest job puts food on the table and gets you experience. You'll need to get your attitude in check though. If you think that a job is boring and will only keep you occupied for three months, that will come across in the interview and a skilled interviewer will spot it.
    Especially when they ask 'Where do you see yourself in six months time?' and you say 'Somewhere else...'

Go for every job as if it's the only job you want, anything else and you'll sell yourself short.

You don't have to take it, and you don't have to stay, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Be humble at your interview!

Just plainly stated,"I don't know all the answer but I know how to find them." :D

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmmmm, haven't I seen something simillar to that before? :p

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yup. I ask that cat on the doghouse. Hmmm.... I guess that should be that dog on the doghouse. He has the answers. :D

Seriously, this is very good advice, but make sure you really do know how to research things before you say it..... The last thing you want to do is to be dishonest in an interview.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

especially if they catch you *G*

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP