Self-Studying for MCDST

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andy204, Sep 12, 2007.

1. andy204

andy204 New Member

Hi guys, been looking through these forums for a while and as everyone seems so helpful maybe you could give me some advice for my first post!

As the title suggests, I am considering self-studying for MCDST and then initially going for a job as a helpdesk engineer or similar. Assuming I am successful and I enjoy myself I would then likely go on to study other course's such as MCSE.

Using Zimbo's guide to self studying I know where I can get the resources to study myself but what I really want to know is the following,

a) Should I study another course first or would someone who has a decent basic knowledge of windows be able to manage this course?

b) Would an MCDST actually help me to get a job in IT, or would employers not give me a second glance as all my experience would have been in a non-professional sense? If is the case what can I do to make myself more attractive to potential employers?

Any advice would be great :biggrin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

Most people on here will advise to compTIA A+ cetfication first then the N+ before doing anything like MS certs.

My current goal which is from advice here is A+, N+ then MSCE.

I am also self studying, if you decide to self study for the A+ get the compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles and an old pc would help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

The MCDST is also an entry level certification, similar to the A+ and Net+. If you only plan to work with Windows, then MCDST is a viable option, but the A+ and Net+ are vendor neutral, so they could be a better start for you.

There is also nothing wrong with doing all 3 of the certs, which quite alot of people do do.

Welcome to CF btw :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd personally recommend A+, Net+, then MCDST, but you don't have to go in that order, nor do you have to get all three.

And yes, self-study is a valid method for all of them. That's how I got all the certs in my sig... anyone can do it with a little determination and some real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm self-studying the first of the MCDST courses 70-271. I've passed by A+ in June and did consider Net+ next but as my role is 2nd line desktop support, I felt it more in line with what I'm doing to complete the MCDST first.

Once done, then I'll return to do the Net+. It's purely down to your preference.

On the employment side, any certificate is better than none but make sure you can back it up with practical experience (or at least as much as possible). Another way of boosting your CV is volunteering. After nailing the MCDST, I'm going to ask to volunteer with the server team (I work 8am-3.30pm) after work each day for 2 hours or so - gives me exposure to what I hope comes next in my career.

Good luck whatever you decide - and well to CF :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293