1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Study v Distance Learning

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by m4rty5miff, Apr 27, 2009.

1. m4rty5miff

m4rty5miff New Member

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post, I'm heavily contemplating a career change and I'm considering a MCDST as a first step towards a role in IT.

Over the last few years I've taught myself html, css, flash, photoshop and a little java, all from self-study and using publicly available information, these skills have very little bearing on my day job as I'm in sales, it's more of a hobby, however it's illustrated to me that I do have an appetite for learning and especially logic. However with that said it's been a while since I was at school and I never completed further education.

My question is what benefits do distance learning providers offer and are they necessary for a novice who has no previous 'experience' in IT. I can do the domestic stuff, install an OS, set-up outlook/IE, install and configure hardware and software apps etc plus I work daily within an MS environment, so is it reasonable to assume that I could tackle this without the guiding light of a training provider?

I would be interested in any advice and to hear your experiences of self-study versus distance learning.

Thanks
    Martin

WIP: MCDST