Self Study Tips

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Professor-Falken, May 11, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Can someone recommend some good strategies for Self Study.
    I am prepraring for the Comptia 2003 A+ Operating System exam and I am getting a little lost in the way that I study.
    Can someone help. Can someone recommend strategies, or
    maybe some links on how to best to prepare for a certification or in particular this exam. I am preparing for the exam with the Mike Meyers book.

Thank Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think your well prepared already mate, get the exam done before its to late.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Where do you think you are particularly failing?

Retaining info? Is your attention span dropping? Are you having difficulty making notes?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

like what Arro said, which area do you need help in.

5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Procrastination is my greatest sin.
    It causes me much sorrow.
    I'm really going to try and pack it in.
    I think I might start tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Seriously mate im not having a go, but ive been going over some of your old posts, and TBH alot of them are far to advanced for A+, i seriously think you will walk this exam.

I think that your main problem is nerves and nothing more, you really need to get over them and you will be fine. Everyone has them, just go for it my friend.:)

Good luck mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Professor-Falken

I am having trouble in all of those areas. But its getting better. Mostly if I am honest I have trouble putting it all together.
    Any suggestion. I found I mind map that was very helpful.
    But lacked detail.Also If I find a copy of the OS objectives with each domain filled in with correct information do you know what I mean? I can fill in most of the areas of each domain from what I learned in the Mike Meyers book. But some areas are not so simple. Can I post a message with the areas that I need help filling in? In what greatly help. If you dont know what I mean let me know and I will explain further.

Professor Falken

P.S. These are the areas I am having most trouble with:

Where do you think you are particularly failing?

Retaining info? Are you having difficulty making notes?

8. Professor-Falken

I took a practice test in Self Test Software and did not pass.
    It gave me a breakdown of all the areas that I need to study.
    As you might expect the more complicated areas.

Installation,Configuration, Ugrading
    Diagnosing and Troubleshooting

Professor Falken

9. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

This is what i've done so far, which has been good for me:

Read the Objectives.

Read the MS Press book (or which ever you have)- thoroughly! - if i'm tired or lacking a bit of concentration then i come back to it, it's a complete waste of effort if you find that you can't remember what the hell you've just read. Don't worry if you don't understand some things - all will 'click into place' later.

Once the book is finished, hit the practice exams. I use Transcender, Readiness review and whatever i can get my hands on. Don't worry if you score low at first, you should expect it - it's a learning tool after all. This is an invaluable stage and will refine your weak areas. Look up anything that you need to and keep doing them until you can score 100% every time. Thats when i know that i'm nearly ready.

Grab a cram sheet and read it every day from when you start the practice exams. (i've got one at the moment for the 70-270, reading it right now) :o)

When i feel ready, i book my exam for a few days away. This gives me enough time to 'cram like mad!'

With my last exam, the 272 i hit the studying hard the day before i had to sit it. Did 14 hours solid revision which proved to be a good idea for me - i could recall many things the next day - (only got about 2 wrong and scored 945)

Well, thats whats working for me at the moment, though i'm onto the servers next so i suppose that will take a bit of adjusting to.

Carl :o)

P.S. If i had to offer only one piece of advice it would be :

Repetition, Repetition, Repetition, Repetition,Repetition, and Repetition.

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW