Self Study possible?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Pheonicks56, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I have no real experience with computers past building my own a couple of years ago, I still think I did something wrong because I get BSODs fairly often. I'm also just finishing up my Associate's in IT, this really doesn't give me much of a technical background with basic hardware or software. So I'm wondering if it's feasible for me to purchase an A+ book and read through it and take a few practice exams and be ready to pass the real exam in the next couple of months? How long does this normally take? Thanks for the advice.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yep it is possible although self study dosn't suite everone. I did it and so have lots of others on this forum.

How long, well that depends on you!

My advice is get cracking now!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Even if it's possible, I think you'll struggle. To take in that much information *properly* and understand it, with little background or previous understanding of it is going to be a big ask. You're going to have to really work at it. Still, no reason you can't try, eh?:)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  4. Pheonicks56

Thank you for the encouragement, I am in a unique situation in that I am a stay at home dad, so I have short breaks throughout the day that I can crack a book and digest a little info over time, I feel this gives me an advantage of being able to keep ideas in my mind. Also I am looking into possibly asking for an internship at the local PC repair shop, hopefully about 10-15 hours a week, at least I'll have some applicable experience to put on a resume in the future.

5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Man you are in good situation.Go for it. If you asked me 2 years ago If I know something about computers I would say that I do not even use one often.Now I have passed A+ and I am doing MCDST and I work with computers every day.Set up goals for yourself and keep it, maintain it, write it down.What you like.
    And you will be one of IT.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

self study is possible for everyone. IT is a job where you have to constantly learn because things move on so quickly. So if you can get to grips with self study it can only help you in your future career.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Pheonicks56

Well my Cybex A+ book came in the mail from Amazon today! I was really psyched when I opened it, I blasted through the initial exam (failed miserably) and am working on the first chapter all about Mobos. I'm just glad I can finally get started with my cert training.

8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Well done :)
    The A+ is a pretty interesting cert anyway, so the book will be easy to read.

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Just remember that to learn something in the IT world, you sometimes have to break it. This is great if you are in a classroom environment, but sucks if it's something of yours. :blink

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Hi Pheonicks. I'm not surprised you failed in the initial test, some of the questions are stinkers.
    You should note that the goal of the Sybex book is to turn you into a tech who is capable of passing the exams, not just to pass the exams. There are a few topics covered in it which I've not seen covered in any other A+ study materials so don't sweat over these.

Have fun and good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job