Self Study, My 3-Year Plan

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ginge, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ginge

ginge Bit Poster

@ ffreeloader: Now I see what you're saying, it makes perfect sense. It sounds to me like good advice, something I'll be following once I get the chance. My GF is going to have issues with me, I can see that. When I switched our main laptop over to Linux a while back, she went mad for the few weeks we had it. She is going to have to learn, whether she likes it or not! The little one is going to be easier, as I'll make sure she picks up no bad habits from a young age, she's going to be comfortable with Windows and Linux from the off 8)

@ Jakamoko: Thats exactly what I'm going to be doing, gonna get that Meyer book sometime next month and do some serious reading.

Merci buckets!

Certifications: none (yet)
    WIP: A+ (soon)
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd suggest to do the A+ and also pick up a book on VB Scripting. While writing vb scripts isn't really programming as such it is a little easier to learn than a full blown programming language and will give you a little taste at programming while also learning something useful for any other area you go into.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just picked up on this thread and there are some interesting points from all angles.
    Ginge, I would definately agree with Gav that the A+ is a great starter. From here you can go any route you fancy. :D
    I also think that reading as much as you can from different authors is a good idea. When I was studying for my A+ i bought 4 books as well as a CD Rom video course. I didn't buy all four books because the 1st, 2nd and third were no good but because I wanted to truely understand the concepts and not just pass the exam.
    Good luck with your training and hope you enjoy your valuble time with your daughter.

Best of luck. Hope you stay around. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. ginge

ginge Bit Poster

Thanks again, A+ is on my list of things to do. VB Scripting, now that sounds good too.

Certifications: none (yet)
    WIP: A+ (soon)