Self study advice needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by G1BB0, Feb 8, 2005.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

yo, well after much deliberation and almost commiting 4k to computeach I am almost decided on self study method of learning for MCSA/MCSE server 2003

I aint paying 800 quid for a foundation course when i can get all my books etc and a few exams for less, granted i will have to put in plenty of time and effort but as I spend too much time on the pc now for sod all reason I may aswell use it for a purpose ;)

I have read all the other posts and there isnt really a general this way or that sooooooo......

just wondered how anyone who has already done this actually went about it? if any of you are doing this at the mo, which exams did you tackle 1st and what methods did you find most useful?

have looked on amazon and books are reasonable price, got a lab all ready to go for hands on stuff and practice makes perfect ;)

are there any particular books that stand out that you knowledgable chaps would recommend, am gonna compile a shopping list for each mcp i attack

thanks in advance and no doubt I will be on here a lot once battle commences

sorry to go over already covered ground but the better prepared and focused i am hopefully the higher my chance of eventually passing

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can only answer part of your question since I haven't self studied for all of my certs.

First of all, you'll need the operating system software. If you are studying for hte 70-210, this means Windows 2000 Pro. Unfortunately, there isn't a trial version of this operating system so you'll either need to own it already or go and buy it.

If you are going to tackle the 70-270, that means Windows XP Professional. Same deal...no eval software...you'll just have to already own it or buy it.

Either the 210 or 270 will satisfy the client workstation requirement but you will probably still need to work with Windows Server 2003 since at least some of the questions will have to do with how the client interacts on a network...with Active Directory, etc...

You can get an evaluation copy of server 2003 Here.

It's only good for 180 days, tho. Sorry about that.

Second, you'll have to have at least two computers hooked together through a small switch or hub or using a crossover cable. That will give you the bare minimum to get started. As you advance in your studies, your lab will have to grow out of necessity. Better start saving up for hardware now (or get one really souped up, screaming PC and load either VMWare or Virtual PC on it then run your entire lab in a virtual environment).

There's a ton of books out there and it's almost impossible to say that any one is the best. My rule of thumb is to buy two tomes and one or two lighter books. One of your tomes needs to be by MS Press. They put out pretty good material on their own products, but I always like to get a non-MS perspective as well. Hopefully, someone else will be able to fill in this blank, tho.

Please keep in mind that as you advance in your MCSA/MCSE studies, you will find it more difficult to pass the exams without actual, hands-on real world experience. MS keeps modifying their exams to weed out "paper MCSEs" and bias them towards and experiencial base. They are even redesigning a few of their exams so that it's less multiple choice and more simulator based.

You'll find an article about that Here.

Additionally, the A+ and either the Network+ or Server+ together can be substituted for one MS test on the MCSA (but not MCSE) track. That means for example, if you have your A+ and Network+, you only need to take 3 MS exams to earn your MCSA.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I got already - win2k pro, nt4, xp pro/corp, server2003, 98, 98 se and ME

so bases covered there

like I said in 1st post got all I need for a lab (work full time on not bad money anyway so costs aint the issue, just aint gonna throw it away to companies when i could do it myself for hopefully half the cost)

are the books - ms press, sibex etc + cram guides enuff? (with the hands on aswell)

my intentions are as follows - start with the 270 - then 290, 291 and one other for MCSA then hopefully if I havent already get a job on a helpdesk, I am fortunate that we have a fair few locally including Fujitsu

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just one more thing. At some point, you'll want to try out some mock test software to make sure you have nailed down the concepts. While most texts on the subject come with some sort of testing software, they usually are not rigorous enough relative to "the real thing"

I can make a couple of suggestions. I've been favorably impressed with Transcender mock test software. They seem to have an uncanny knack for writing their questions with about the same degree of difficulty as the actual certification exams. You can download free sample questions to see the quality for yourself. They are kind of spendy, but worth it in my opinion.

You can also find quality free mock MS exams at Certtutor.net. Orin Thomas is the site admin and he also has written a number of texts on the MCSE exams for Microsoft Press. He has written some mock MS cert exam test banks and posted them on the certtutor site for free. He says that he writes his questions to actually be a bit harder than the real thing. If you can sit down, take and pass one of Orin's exams at certtutor, you are probably in pretty good shape.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. matt.ryles

matt.ryles Bit Poster

great, A+ and N+ saves me doing a MCSA exam. winner winner chicken dinner. Didn't know that.
    Well on these forums you learn something new everyday.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

s'why we're here, mate [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

cheers tripwire appreciate the input

its all becoming clearer now :D

well installed server 2003 and set up my xp pro machine so gonna order the 270 exam books next week and get cracking on the xp side

even if i spend £100 on books, transcender for each and then the cost of each exam for all 7 MCP's it all ends up less than half the cost of Computeach :)

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the thing is even when going on courses you often buy those things you mentioned anyway, so at the end of the day attempting the self study route makes alot of sense, if it doesnt work for you, or you dont have the willpower/time anymore for some reason, then you havnt lost anything and can still go and pay someone 4k if you like, thats the beauty of it lol

Your setup for 270 seems good mate, let us know if you need any more help :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Set yourself a timetable for all your exams, it will give you a goal to aim for, e.g. MCSE by 31/12/2005. I'd suggest a study time of 2 months per exam. If it slips adjust the timetable.

For each exam review the training materials you use timetable your study for each chapter. Set an exam date as soon as you start study on a subject. You can move the date online.

Select your training materials that suit your learning style. Personally, I love Sybex, BUT suppliment this with other texts, e.g. Black Books are very good
    Invest in the Resource kits they have all the technical detail.

I used Ghost so I could take fast backups and restore to a proven base configuration when doing my best to "break" the system.

Make time for some fun!

10. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

thanks again

I planned about 2-3 months per exam, obviosuly some may take longer some slightly quicker depending on the time I have to put into each one

just cant wait to get started now, hurry up payday grrrrrrr :biggrin

11. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

Hey steve, why not just steal the wifes credit card :)

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Because then she caught him, he would surely die...or worse...wish he was dead. :eek: :biggrin

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

While hanging is no longer carried out in the UK I am sure no s%x for a year is much, much worse :oops:

14. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

hmmm, a whole year without, that would be an upturn :D

thanks again for all the response and Stu.... GL with yours m8 ;)

15. neilg

neilg Bit Poster

Thank you for your for all your information it was very helpful

Certifications: MCP's , A+ , N+
    WIP: M.C.S.E