Segmenting a network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jul 30, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK, the story so far is I have managed to set up DC and join a computer to that DC, however my thinking now is I want to use the DC as a DHCP server. I only have the default IP of my internal network to use, which is your basic 192.168.1.0 etc, so has anyone done this at home.

What I mean is split their address in 2 in effect or subnetted, say by changing 192.168.1.1 , kept that for automatic ip config on one side, then allocated 192.168.2.1 for the DHCP server etc? Or am i talking a load of tripe here and missing the subnetworking point totally?

Cheers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well you're forgetting the requirement of a router, you need a router to act as, well a router, between the networks.

The reason you're going to need a router in this case is that I am assuming your ISP's router is acting as a DHCP server, so with two different DHCP servers running on the same network segment you could very well have machines that get assigned the wrong IP addresses (unless you start by using DHCP reservations against MAC addresses).

Ideally you should start looking at running something in a virtualised environment, this allows you to have the entire estate running on a single box and also have one machine running as a router.

As a side note, have a look at something like FreeSCO

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers Simon

I can use server 2012 hypervisor and configure the virtual switch on that.. Its only for practicing but all good training at the end of the day. I feel like I have to learn so much for september.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680