seen job advert and want more details

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by buy_my_cookies, Sep 3, 2008.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Hi all,

Ive seen a job i may be interested in, I think its first line support/help desk role, im a little unsure because the job description was very vague. It was only 2 lines long!

There is an email address on the job description, my question is. Is it considered a bad or a good thing to request more information about the job? What I mean is im worried about asking for more information and having the company think, this person is not right for the job because he doesn’t even know what the position entails.

If I should ask for more information how should I do it? Should I just ask for a more detailed job description or should I ask specific questions like what technologies I should know, what the person in role does on day to day basis.

Thanks for any help you give.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

From the email address find the company.

Doesn't matter whether it's an agency or company advertising direct, ring them up and ask a little more about the job.

I do that quite often and in many cases if you can be bothered to ring to ask (rather than email) you gte a lot more detail on what they're actually looking for.

If you're not sure what to say ask to speak to someone dealing with the xyz vacancy and then ask them if they have a person and/or job specification they can email you.

You cna then also say "is there anything else you can tell me about the position?" or something similar and engage in some chat. If it sounds good you can say your name and that you'll be sending over a CV or completed application form (if they use one).

Hope that helps :D

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Just say your are looking for further information on the vacancy, that simple I suppose. :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest emailing the company to request additional information - it may take them a good while to respond (if they even do at all).

It's much easier to just ring them up like UKDarkstar suggested and request additional information about the job role. Don't be scared or worried about asking, it should be seen by the company as showing extra interest at the very least and not be at all negatory for your possible future job application. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree - as an employer, I would view an inquiry about the job in a favorable light... a big improvement over someone who will just send me a CV without even so much as a cover letter to introduce themselves, you know? Anything you can do to show "extra effort" is a plus.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

thanks for the advice people. made me feel more confident about asking for more information.

i will call them tomorrow and ask

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+