Seeking some advice!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Anomaly, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Anomaly

Anomaly New Member

Hello all.

I am 23 years old and have had an interest in computers since I was 12. I've recently been looking into doing a compTIA A+ course and I have a few questions. From what I've gathered you either learn from a book in your own time, or pay a load of money to a company and then attend an exam? I'd say my knowledge of PCs is intermediate/advanced. I've been repairing, building and troubleshooting PCs ever since I received my first one aged 12. Everything I've learned has been through trial and error, seeking out information on my own without asking. Another thing I'd like to know is how long do you typically need to study for in order to have a good chance at passing? I've read many people suggest getting the Meyer's book - and it's something which I'm considering doing. Is the compTIA A+ certificate good? In good I mean is it widely recognised and is it a highly regarded qualification, such as the MCSE certs? What I'm basically looking at doing is obtaining the A+ certificate and getting started in an IT Tech career, or something similar. Will the A+ course give me a good chance of that? As I'm now 23 (nearly 24) and no previous experience within IT I feel it's time to sort myself out! Many thanks for your time.

Regards.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

1st no cert will get you a job, it may only enhance your chances
    2nd the A+ is a great cert as its entry level and vendor neutral.
    3rd you shouldn't go for the MCSE without a year in server administration as having it with no experience will harm your employment prospects

With regards to a course, going with a training provider is a lot like studying it on your own. They give you some books tell you read them, then you book the exams then take them. The only major difference is, is that they charge you lots of cash and may provide support and the odd training day.

If you are as competent as you say then you do not need a course, self study save your cash.

Two books for the A+ are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC technician streets smarts by James Pyles. get an old pc to mess with to follow the exercises in the street smarts book.

When you ready to take the exams (you need to pass 2 for the A+) register with pearsonvue or prometric websites to find your nearest test centre then your ready :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Ok, i'll try and address each of your points, forgive me if I miss anything out!

Is the A+ a widely recognised and highly regarded certification?

Firstly I would say that ANY certification is useful to you, as it shows a commitment to study and proves that you have the knowledge required to achieve the certification. It looks good for you on your CV as well.

The A+ is definitely worth having if you are starting out and looking to break into your first IT role. It will definitely give you an edge for an entry level role if your competing against candidates that have no certifications.
    Unfortunately some employers seem to think that Microsoft and Cisco are the only certifcates worth holding and do not really understand the work that is required in order to pass the Comptia exams. That shouldn't stop you studying for the A+ though.

Is it widely recognised? I would say Yes, but it could be better.
    Is it highly regarded? Well it's an entry level certification. Probably not as highly regarded as an MCSE for example, but when your at the bottom of the IT ladder it should be highly regarded for the type of roles you'll be applying for.

How long do you typically need to study the A+?

Well this really depends on you, your current knowledge level and how well you can study. If you have a lot of experience tinkering about with pc's, which it sounds like you have, then you may only need to brush up on a few of the subject areas. In which case, provided you learn at a reasonable pace, it shouldn't take you too long until you are ready to sit the exam.

I think the best thing to do would be to get hold of one of the A+ books and take a look at the course material. Only then can you make an educated guess on your required study period. After all, you don't know what you don't know!

Will the A+ give me a good chance in getting an IT role?
    Definitely, but only at an entry level role.

I think that's everything, I hope it's been of some help.

If you have any more questions just fire away!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice already provided. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!