Seeking advice on training/certification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by DJN, Dec 15, 2008.

1. DJN

DJN New Member

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this site today, and seems to be the perfect place to ask for advice about how to progress my IT career.

I've worked in the industry as an Analyst programmer/Developer for about 12 years now, and had worked for the same company for almost eight of those years until January (2008) when the firm I was working for went into administration. I quickly got another (temporary) job, but they ended my contract at the end of October. Since then I've applied for a number of jobs, but most of my industry experience for the last four years or so has been in a very obscure language.

I'm faced with the need, therefore, to retrain, and I'm trying to improve my .NET skills. I already have (self taught) knowledge of C#.NET and VB.NET, but since I didn't get a chance to use these at work I'm unable to demonstrate to future employers a "proven track record" in them.

In order to improve my CV, I want to get a couple of MCTS qualifications (maybe 70-536 Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation and 70-562 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Application Development). However, there don't seem to be many books that are specifically geared towards these exams.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience of the Microsoft E-learning courses? There are three that would cover the two courses I mentioned above, but they cost about £150 each (one actually costs £210:eek:). I don't want to shell out that amount of cash if the courses aren't all that good.

Any thoughts on Microsoft e-learning courses? Any other advice:biggrin is very welcome

Thanks in advance

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

So what was the 'obscure language'? In the right places this may get you another job! Obviously the mainstream agencies won't be much help.

Most of the M$ languages and frameworks are available in 'student' editions (i.e. free or next to it). You should be able to get to grips with the basics of one of them fairly easily I would have thought.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

The company I work for is looking for a .NET Developer if your interested :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree with Harry, what were the languages? You might be more likely to get a job at the same pay bracket based on your current skills than on new ones.

There is a Training kit out for 70-536, its pretty good. £150-£200 sounds pretty cheap to me so its worth a shot to try the MS courses or look at the CBT nuggets offerings.

The training kit comes with - "90-day evaluation version of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition" and Express editions are also available for download free from MS website.

Studying for those exams will take many months so I'd concentrate on getting back into work and retrain in your spare time and while in work.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I've done a couple of E-learning courses from MS, and they are ok :)

You may want to see here for Visual Studio Express Editions, which are a limited product but free :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. DJN

DJN New Member

Thanks for all your replies:D.

Yes, I already have the 'Express' editions of C#.NET and VB.NET installed, and I've been using the 90 day evaluation version of Visual Studio.

The language I've been using for the last few years is called GT-X, and its designed for building call centre and help desk applications - so it's a pretty niche product. I don't particularly want to carry on using it - I still enjoy programming in it, but it doesn't give me the same sense of satisfaction as do languages such as VB.NET, C#, or even good old VB6.

I'm glad to hear that you give the E-learning kits from Microsoft a thumbs up - they look like the way for me to go. Hopefully using them in conjunction with the information on the Microsoft website and in the MSDN will teach me what I need to know.

Thanks again for the replies!