Seek Learning

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by twizzle, Aug 18, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I just recieved an email from Reed regarding IT training. Thier offereing courses via Seek learning. I was just wondering if any body has had experience of them or heard of them?

http://www.seeklearning.co.uk/?CampaignCode=reedweb

A quick look and they seem genuine, but i'm not too sure.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Last thing I want to do is insult your intelligence. But I have to say IMO I'd go the self - study route all the way. You'll save a fortune, but I'm sure you already know this..

Couldn't comment on the genuinity of that site but they look professional enough, perhaps submit a query and have a chat with one of their advisors? hopefully someone will post who has had experience with them though . :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  3. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

I had an email from them as well. They are genuine scammer..I told them I wanted to do MCSE (Obviously not!). They said it would cost something 4k...can't remember exact. I asked them if I needed to do some entry certs before the MCSE, obviously they said no...and I also asked them would I be more employeable after passing MCSE with no experience? they said yes.

It is easier to self study for the entry certs. Obviously it takes lots of determination and effort because it sacrifice your soical life a bit and motivation is the key to succeed. It is cheaper too!

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would have to agree with Naive.

To me they look legit too, but I am not 100% sure how effective their training is and whether it's worth it in the end. Some people have trouble studying on their on others don't. It all depends on what ever is best for you and thats something only you know.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I know self study is best. but i do suffer from lack of motivation and find studying on my own hard. I need a classroom or structured course to make the most of my learning.

I'll look into these in more detail but with caution.

6. christ69

christ69 New Member

Hello,

One of my mates from work is using Seek Learning for his certs. He is very happy with the courses. They don't make the training themselves, they use a company called SkillSoft. Skillsoft is a massive US company, our company use skillsoft for all their management courses, this is how we come accross them. Seek Learning are a part of Seek in Austrailia.....a little search on the web should show you this...anybody who has travelled to OZ and looked for work would know Seek....they re a huge job board. Give them a call and see for yourself. I'm also considering using them for my CCNP training, as self study for this would take me forever. This Forum only advocates self study, which for some people is ok but not for all, we have guys at work that took 1 year to do an A+ and MCDST. It's just too long, With my old comanies training provider i completed it in just over 4 months. You can learn to drive youself, but it quicker with an instructor.

Any way each to their own, i'll probably get slagged off for not towing the self study line!!!!!

Good Luck

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSE
  7. christ69

christ69 New Member

Just to add one more point, you said the email come from REED. If you mean the recruitment company, i doubt very much they would put their name to a fly by night training company it would be in their interest.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSE
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Not heard of them!:blink

Have you tried searching on certguard?

If not here's what they said about them:-

certguard - seeklearning.co.uk

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

To be honest UCm i didnt find Certguard all that useful for this. They dont give enough info about these people. I'll just have to do a bit of googling on the weekend when i have more time to look at details.

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I searched this forum for "seek" and there are a few other posts as well where they are mentioned.

I've also had the email from Reed Recruitment.

As cmmented before with TP's, suitable for some as long as you know what you're getting yourself into.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

as mentioned by some others the Seek brand is a biggy in job search in Australia and New Zealand where they also have their Seek Learning arm. Not sure about the quality of the courses but they have been around for a long time so arent a fly by night type of organisation. Personally I also prefer the self study route but found that I never got motivated until I booked an exam about 1 month out. I then knew that I had to study for it as it was impending.

My 2 cents :-)

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's