Seek help and advice.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ThatLondonFella, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ThatLondonFella

ThatLondonFella Bit Poster

I've posted in here before but I will just recap. Basically, I've been unemployed for 4 months now, looking to change career paths from Sales to IT. I've been actively looking for a job (1st Line/ Helpdesk but haven't been very successful). I hold a 2:1 degree in a Computer Science discipline amongst GCSE/A-Levels. I've always wanted to get into some form of IT and only recently focused a majority of efforts on reading the Mike Myers A+ book. I've been successful in getting 2 interviews out of 60+ applications. Most recently, I went for an interview at Travelex and though the interview went amazingly well and they really liked me but they had to choose the other candidate because he didn't require training. I know I need certificates but I am in a financial position at the moment that doesn't allow for it. I've been told by IT support technicians that I should apply for helpdesk roles and have but to no avail despite my extensive IT knowledge and skills. I even asked a Uni mate of mine that now holds a senior support role but no certs, for advice but he's not sure about a route to take. So, I am here...a day before my birthday, with no job and only a degree to my name to ask for advice from more experienced users on a route to take.

I would be grateful for some advice/help...anything.

:)

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+ and Network+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Feck, dark days mate.

It’s the day before your bday. I suggest you get a beer, wine, whatever from the fridge and forget about the problems you have and just have a drink and chill for a while.

I understand where you are coming from. Years ago when I graduated it was hell trying to get my first IT job – most of my friends had ditched IT and had got retail jobs just to get some £££ but I didn’t take that route.

It all worked out but it wasn’t easy!

Hang in there mate!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ThatLondonFella

I guess I should just take my mind off it for a day. :)

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes. What you drinking? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. ThatLondonFella

Bells & coke. :)

6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Keep at it mate im sure something will come up. It did for me in the end. Its just that bit of luck that is needed for an employer to take you on when you have no experience. I was in exactly the same situation as you. I had a job but wanted to get into IT and like you i was applying for loads of jobs.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Happy Birthday!

Sorry to hear of your current situation. As everyone above has said, try and chill today - a day of rest does wonders to the mind.

Tomorrow, keep going for more jobs, check on the usual recruitment websites (Job Search, CWJobs, REED, Monster), also look for school IT Techie jobs. It's a good way to get all-rounder experience as you're usually wearing many hats.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010