1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security+ Whats the opinion??

Discussion in 'Security+' started by mattwest, May 2, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey all...

My employer may be sending me on the Security+ course (5 days - London) my question is this - Is the Security+ qualification worthwhile to take? Did people find it interesting? Was the exam hard etc?

I'm going to go on an IIS 6 and Cisco Design courses and the Security+ course is one i'm pushing for in order to improve my own knowledge in that area, but before i commit to that i just thought i'd see if anyone had any thoughts?

Cheers :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst I havent taken the Security+ it does seem to be one that is widely respected. For instance it is a prerequesit for some vendor certs such as Symantec. MS also seems to believe it has merrits including it in its MCSA/E electives.

For someone wanting to get a basic overview of security skills them it could be worth going for, but for something more specific then perhaps the Cisco or the MS security certs would be worth a look at.

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ill add my support behind it too! Very worthwhile for the reasons simon said.. mainly its a MCSE/MCSA elective and another cert behind your name! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

Security+ is a very widely respected security cert. I have failed it once, since it also requires some of the stuff I have long since forgotten from Network+ (memorizing well known ports is not my strong suit). Since I am going for an Associate Degree in IT Security, the Security+ is definately one of the certs I need to get. Congrats on having your company pay for your training. This is a hot field and a great cert to have. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP