Security + self study

Discussion in 'Security+' started by demarrer, Jun 9, 2009.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi, I've just got the mike myers passport book for the security plus exam.... Is this an all-in-one book like the A+ one or would you guys recommend splashing out on the sybex book too to ensure I have all the objectives covered?

Really enjoying studying for this exam so far, its great to read a bit of the book then read in more depth about subject matter on the net too. Decided to put the MCDST on the back burner for a while.

I have also found that the microsoft free webcasts on security have been a real help too.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, I have the Sybex book and the Passport book and would say the Passport book is much better as it cuts a lot of the background reading out, which while being very interesting, won't be covered in the exam.

As a rule I always combine at least two sources when studying for an exam. For Sec+ I also have the CBT Nugget videos which are very good.

Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Monkish

Monkish Bit Poster

If you want to shell out the cash, I had a coupon, the LearnLey series was very good. It's about 6hrs. on DVD.

Certifications: A+, Net+, Security+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

YIKES- the learnkey DVD set for this exam is 500 dollars. I think I'll get the other sybex book and take my chances :) Cheers for the help

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could also look at material from Preplogic, they do some good stuff :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security