security Question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by deepdale11, Aug 16, 2006.

1. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

Hello!

I have just brought a new pc and have connected to my wireless network at home,
    my question is when I find my other pc on the network and click on it, it comes up with a box saying user name and password? I have not set any user name or password for any pc? They are both xp home also when I wanted to put a program on the new pc from a disc, it said my security settings are stopping me from doing it?
    Any ideas!

Cheers
    Chris

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

do both of the accounts on the PC's have admin level access to the system? It sounds to me that your account only has limited user access, to verify this go to control panel, users and see what accounts are in there.

When the Username / Password dialogue box pops up enter the user name that you use on the PC that you are trying to access, and as you say you have no password set up leave the password box blank.

3. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

The new computer has hp owner as administrator,so does the other one, I also have a laptop on the network and that talks to my old pc fine! its the new one! when you say enter the user name,what user name???

Cheers
    Chris

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The name that you log on with.

When your computer starts do you click on a name to login, or does it simply go straight in?

You can find out what your username is by selecting log off from the shutdown menu.

5. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

It goes straight in, I have just tried again and it just askes for a password, the user name is not high lighted but it says office/user?? I have named the pc office as it is in the office but it like it is trying to connect to its self!
    The old pc finds and connects to the new one no problem just the other way round. when I go onto my wireless hub the old pc and the laptop are named but the new one says unknown?