Security on a network

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jiser, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Time to delete !

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thats the second long post I have tried to read by you.
    No offense intended but what are these drafts for? Who is your target audience?

It may be easier on the eye if you try to break it down a little more, perhaps by using sub headings.

3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Its for university - a report. I am just looking for people to give me feedback? e.g. If they think it needs re-writing or its o.k.

Cheers

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So, basically, you want us to help you with your homework?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What was the question again? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Discuss issues for security of a multinational company basically.

7. Sparky

Im not a security guru so go easy on me.....

This makes no sense mate, do you mean logging into a firewall with a VPN client to access the network remotely?

Also your explanation of WSUS isn’t 100% correct. The administrator will push updates out to PCs on the *LAN* from the WSUS. If there is no WSUS server available which is hosting the patches then the patches will be downloaded from the Windows update services servers but this will eat bandwidth.

Also you might want to mention security procedures for junior IT staff, for example for security questions they should ask before they reset a domain user account for example. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

No lol it doesnt make sense does it! I will replace that with logging into a LAN

Basically in my multinational WAN, would it be wise to mention including a WSUS server for all LANs? Or would this be pointless. Basically its an oil company with offices and drilling platforms located in 5 countries. Plus two main HQ's. Having only experiance in a small company of 100 users and looking after two schools I am not sure what large corperations would use. Will google now.

I will mention about junior I.T. staff as well. What do you think overall though? Cr*p or ok?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

9. Sparky

Best to say ‘logging into the corporate domain’ or something like that.

In regard to WSUS there would probably be a WSUS server in each physical location. You also need to document who has control of the WSUS server, would it be a network admin on the site or would someone be in control of all the WSUS servers for the whole organisation?

In regard to the drilling platforms do you have idea of what the connectivity is to these locations? It will be some kinda satellite based connection which is megabucks any kinda download. In this case patches can actually be sent on CD and then installed on the WSUS server.

Also are you going split the network into a root domain and then have child domains for the other countries? Remember the password policy can only be set at the domain level so if you want another group of users to have separate password policy it has to be a new domain.

All in it reads ok but some examples of how you would implement the security could help. Just my opinion though. :biggrin

10. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

My 1500 words is way over lol. Dam, there are books on this stuff! Will mention logigng into corperate domain to.

I am editing everything now, will include some examples. Also I will mention WSUS severs in each location.

I would use satellite for remote communication on the platforms. I think tbh its gonna be to expensive to install physical cable at the bottom of the ocean, even on top of a pipe! Yes CD's sound a good idea, then I have covered an extra point there.

Would probably be nessessary for local I.T. staff and 'global' i.t. admin to have access to the WSUS rights. Obviously depending on their security 'level'.

Cheers

11. Sparky

These locations will probably be indivdual domains as there is no point in replicating the whole corporate domain. Also there are often 3rd party email utilities that pull the email from an Exchange server (just and example) at set times to keep the bandwidth costs down. 8)

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If we do your homework for you... then it's not your homework, is it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Sparky

I’m sure I`ll be listed as a reference in the report. :biggrin

14. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I knew people would be like this!! I am not asking you to do my homework. I am just asking for feedback.

And yes it will be a refernce

15. Sparky

Eh? I thought I did ok. 8)

16. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

i think you gave a fine service Sparky ...
    ;)