Security+ International Vouchers - How often?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Killian, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've just started studying for the Security+ and, having realised the costs, have been looking into vouchers. I saw one the other day at $150 but it expired next week and I figured it wouldn't give me long enough.

I've almost finished my book now and feel I would have been ready for the test next week; however the vouchers have now all gone :(

I looked at booking it without the voucher and, with VAT, it was coming out at over £220! I have seen vouchers for £181 though was hoping to find something better. I've yet to fail a test as always do lots of prep but still have that horrible thought of "what if I fail?" as that's almost £200 down the drain.

Does anybody know how often these vouchers tend to do the rounds? Or if they do any kind of 'Second Shot' style thing like MS?

Would appreciate any advice you can give. Have been tempted to fork out the $140 for the Transcender engine just to see if that brings a little more confidence though of course that'll knock the cost up even more :( Didn't realise CompTIA exams were so expensive! And for the observant amongst you; the A+ and Network+ I sat were part of a work funded course so I didn't see the expenses :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

K

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Security + voucher http://www.gracetechsolutions.com/certification/voucher/international_security_voucher.asp if your in the us you need to select the other version which is for US and canada

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I saw that one yesterday, £183 + 500+ questions. Was just wondering how often the cheaper one's come around and whether it'd be worth waiting for them. Also; any idea what the quality of the questions are like?

Unfortunately I'm in the UK, have found loads of cheap Security+ vouchers for the lucky American's put the international pickings tend to be pretty rubbish.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wouldnt bother with the questions you will need proper study material. With gracetech you pay no VAT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've got the Syngress book and am studying that at the minute. It all seems to be going in well but figure the Transcender may well give me a bit more confidence that I actually know the stuff.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The cheaper ones are vouchers that are about to expire. Typically these companies buy the vouchers in bulk and then can pass the savings on to the customer. When you buy a voucher it also has an expiry date and as the expiry date gets closer the companies offer the vouchers even cheaper to move them.

If you're prepared to wait till they get to this stage then you can still study the material but it might be as soon as tomorrow or as late as christmas before they come again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Had a feeling that would be the case. Have applied to test out Boson's Sec+ material so maybe it's for the best I didn't get my hands on that voucher else I'd be sitting it in a few days. Every cloud... as they say.

8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Don't forget to check the CompTIA site. They have sample questions. When I was going for N+ I took their sample test and as I recall it was 100 questions! So I felt I did get a challenge similar to the real thing. I haven't looked into their S+ because I'm preparing for that. The downside is you don't know what you missed or why :cry: That's where a vendor like Boson, Transcender, uCertify, etc. is good because they explain the answers and thus give you another learning avenue. I always choose more than one practice test vendor (but maybe I'm a little anal?)

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  9. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Ideally I'd like to have a couple vendors practice exams but I really can't afford to do so. I can justify the expense for one as if it stops me failing it pretty much pays for itself.

I've put my name down to review Bosons product on Security+ so hopefully I can get my hands on that and pay with a review rather than cash. Good for both parties.

Don't like exams that don't tell you where you went wrong though I suppose it'd be a good measure for the real thing.

10. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've just ordered my voucher and intend on sitting the exam next Tuesday. £183! Better not fail! :( lol

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Woah! Thats expensive but in saying that if you pass then you won't have to recertify in three years.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs