Security + in 6 weeks?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by demarrer, Jun 10, 2009.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

In everyones experience of taking this exam, is it possible to get this exam under my belt in about 6 weeks of study? I want to get the exam booked and am about halfway through my learning material and am finding it o.k at the moment.

Does the exam require that you have done a lot of practise like for example the MCDST, or it is something that is mainly theory based? At the moment, I'm getting a feeling its a theory based - i.e there wont be a lab in the exam requiring you to configure a firewall!

Cheers for any thoughts on this.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I believe that I did the Security+ in under a month, however I was already working in IT plus already did the Microsoft security exam. So yes gaining the Security+ in 6 weeks is possible. In format, so far all the Comptia exam share the same sort of format.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

cheers for that. I'm working in IT at the moment to and have done some microsoft training as well - o.k six weeks sounds like a goer.

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Good luck. I'm sitting mine end of the month so 6-8 weeks training. Haven't done a CompTIA before tho so not sure what to expect. Do they have labs like MS exams?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

p.s which microsoft exam did you tackle out of interest? I've done a course on the security in depth model, does it focus around that?

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, you have to break into the test centre, if you can take the test and get out before the cops show its a pass ! :biggrin

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

:lol: I wondered how you had so many certs under your belt . . . . . . :p

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's possible to get that exam under your belt with no study time at all... if you already know the subject matter. Other people need months and months of study time. In short, everyone is different - there's no way I could accurately assess someone else's chances of passing in a certain amount of time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!