Security+ In 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Revolate, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah, i'm probley stupid. I've achieved alot in 4 months. So why not try getting security+? Anyways if i pass my MCDST this tuesday Im planning on doing hardcore studying for Security+ when i'm dedicated there's no stopping me as my brain just turns into a sponge! :dry The only problem I have is I do not have any job experience although I would say i'm good at computers. Will having MCDST/A+/N+/Security+ be over qualified for entry jobs? :(

Thoughts on Security+ and difficulty would be appriciated too. :)

Thanks!

Oh and in the two weeks its litrally 14 days free time. No work interuptions and so forth... i've got decent security knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It is quite an interesting and fun cert to do.

I did not find the material so difficult, I think people build it up a bit too much, however it is very expensive and Its likely some of the content may not make much sense to you if you've not got much experience.

It requires some knowledge of encryption and networking which you might not currently have.

Security+ will also now be subject to a CPD verification system where you will have to acrue 50 points every 3 years to maintain certified status.

MCDST is already an MCSA elective so I'd probably not bother taking the Security+ in light of your current experience and the recent changes.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Indeed you are probley right with the experience part, just I get 55% off the exam price since i'm at a Microsoft Academy. Thanks for the reply, I might just give it a miss then... but i'll see. :D

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you sure that you'll get 55% off? The Security+ exam is a Comptia cert and not a MS exam.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah, I did my Network+ for £84, that was an optional certification, and if i pass my MCDST this tuesday, i'll have two weeks to study everyday. :)

Everyone eles is just MCDST A+ and NVQ3/Advance diploma/keyskills. (Well not everyone alot of people have failed, there just not trying.) :dry

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

If you do indeed get that discount I'd say do it because it cost me a lot more and as dmarsh said, its a really interesting and sometimes fun cert to study for. With regard to you being over certified, in light of you lacking experience, I'd say Sec+ is as far as you should go until you land a role. Good luck with the MCDST / finding work. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Ahh I thought as much, i'll see how I do on MCDST and if I pass it i'll go for it, thanks for the advice Jim. :D

8. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

great effort for a 17 year old, I was too busy on my skateboard and be a script kiddie at that age to think about certs.

And just to play devils advocate you could always do other certs and not put them down on your CV when applying for entry jobs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If you have some security experience, and you're a fast learner, the Security+ won't be all to hard. Especially as Network+ all ready touches some of the secury socket principles.

Some of the brightest hackers (ethical or not) are teens... sometimes it just comes with the kind of mind you have.

Good luck, I'd say 2 weeks is doable for some people. Just make sure to change the date of the exam early enough if it seems that you're not quite prepared to pass it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Skateboards rule! I Took mine out for a spin earlier for the first time in years! mislead youth!