Security Exam & Fees

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by himdev, Dec 2, 2007.

1. himdev

himdev New Member

I m newly appointed IT Security Officer in my company.

What are different type of It Security Exams & what are the Exam Fees ?

regards
    Himdev
    India:rolleyes:

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

This should help you research tool

Certifications: A few.
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If this is your first appointment to an IT security post and have no previous security certifications, then I would recommend doing Comptia Security+. As for prices, you will have to contact your local centre/websites that sell the exam vouchers for your area.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Newly appointed? What sort of skillset do you have? If you've a good year or so configuring Firewalls, IDSes, Content Filtering, VPNs and Security policy, then you may want to look at the Security+. Its an entry-level cert, but reasonably well-recognised.

Your problem is going to be that Security isn't an industry that you can walk into without experience and do well in. When you say 'IT Security Officer' - I presume there are other people there that you can learn from? Please don't tell me you've just been given possibly one of the most important jobs in your organisation without any prior experience, and no-one else to help you... Actually, scratch that - who do you work for? If its anything to do with any British company's call centre I'd like to know so that i can take my business elsewhere!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. himdev

himdev New Member

Zebulubu ,

Thanks for the suggestion .I am Network Administrator & system administrator with more than 11 years of experience in Firewalls , IDS , Windows , Network ( LAN/WAN) .
    I am CCNA & MCP certification. I was inquring about some entry level Security Certs which are not that much costly !!

Security plus is i think 225$ .

Since few months i am assigned job of implementing Security in my Site by the company . I am working on Security compliance , Password Policy etc & other aspects of Security. My experience is i think 6 months.

I have lot of interest in this field. So i have the query !!!
    8)

6. himdev

himdev New Member

THANKS VERY MUCH ..FOR NOT A RUDE ANSWER ATLEAST ..PEOPLE ANSWER SO RUDELY AS IF GETTING WE ARE SNATCHING SOME DOLARS OUT OF THE POCKET!!

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One of my mates/colleagues researched into this area a while back, you can take a look at his blog here. As for the prices, it does depend on where you are in the world. Best thing to do is once you decide which cert to get/go for contact the testing centre or exam vendor.

-Ken

p.s. Mods/admins, can you move this thread out of the CIW section and into a more revelant one please?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

As Ken and Zeb have stated, Security + is a good place to start. I am studying it at the moment, using various books and their accompanying software.

It's a hard slog, but very enjoyable; however, it won't make me a Security + guru. That will hopefully come with experience...