Security configuration wizard

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nugget, Jun 6, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Does anyone here use it when they install a new server?

If so, what do you think of it, is it worth running and what kind of results does it bring?

Funny enough it's one of the things I've never gotten around to testing, even in a virtual machine.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Obviously no-one else has used it either.

Oh well, just thought I'd ask.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have used it to help make an ISA server extra secure, but I couldn't comment on how effective it's been thus far. It can't hurt to run it I guess. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Modey, I was wondering how effective it was. I have recently installed a few new servers but I didn't want to run it on live servers before I had an idea of what it does. (and I haven't really had the time to run it myself)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Haven’t used it but it is on my “to do” list.

Definitely test first before using it on a live server unless you want a “nobody can access anything on the network” type call from the users you support. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I've actually used it on 2000 servers, mainly because that OS was wide open (compared to say, R2). I've also used it configuring Domain Controllers before, and its nice because you can run the wizard against the current setup, and see the differences. Do I use it always? No, but I probably should -- I manage to run MBSA, so why not that?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE