Security Clearance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rob1234, Aug 14, 2008.

1. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

All employers in England and Wales have to abide by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, unless it is superseded by other legislation (Children's Act, etc)

This means that spent convictions must be declared. Failure to do so can actually be a criminal offence, not just breach of contract.

Most Govt agencies (or companies contracted to work within or for them) will tell you exactly who does and doesn't qualify to gain clearance at particular levels, and even if they do gain clearance whether they are still deemed unsuitable to work for them.

Gaining DV for one bunch does not mean you will have it elsewhere, but it does help. I wish more sections of the public sector would investigate clearance properly as the major breaches are not with the direct employees now, but with outsourced or contracted companies.

2. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

What if someone had 4 of those points, and were charged with an offensive weapon charge, and a minor breach of the peace charge around 4 years ago, would they get security level 2 clearance??

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

What's "security level 2 clearence"?

As for the offences it depends on this someone's circumstances. The offensive weapon one sounds very serious - I'd doubt that any clearance would be granted for such an offence. But that's just my opinion - the someone won't find out until they try!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Bobbie dicklash

Bobbie dicklash New Member

My two pence to the postings that have been submitted so far:

SC - Security Check - Is most common for Government based contracts with third parties. This involves BC (Basic Check) and extra detail such as past address, criminal convictions and basic financials. All quite straight forward and lasts 10 years - is nontransferrable but if you already posses then looks favorable to next employer.

DV - Developed Vetting - is more intrusive and generally used for government secure assignments but again does not require to much as long as you are honest. They will ask for close family detail, financials (they do allow debt as it is human to have debt), sexual interests and internet sites used - you will be drugs tested too. However do note that certain political policies can give you DV "with restrictions". I have this basically because my partners parents live in a part of the UK where tensions are strained...not going into detail (so do not ask) and is very very annoying as I have met them once but hey ho some whitehall policy is the be all and end all. Generally DV is renewed every 5 years and is non transferrable but a future employer can apply for DV with changes - meaning they dont have to go through the full process to get you renewed hence saving many £thousands- which is a huge benefit.

Be honest and be prepared for friends to be interviewed and asked questions about sexual interests (threesomes etc) - which still comes up in conversations to this day...

5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

very Knowledgeable post, would rep if i knew what that was (and how to do it), (especially after a few Gin + Bitter lemons!). SC and DV are the big ones ones in security clearance to look out for!
    One thing to add is that clearance is great for your career prospects and basically everyone will pass SC if they are honest about prior convictions (as long as Fraud, Espionage and murder (or attempted) are there) and if you are a born and bred national. I think we only failed about 5/1000 applications in our company last year, and I believe these failures were due to nationality issues. In regards to DV (where do i start with this one). If you are offered DV.......... Snatch the opportunity (as you cannot self fund and this costs your employer £17K+). Although this is a very obtrusive clearance (believe all that is said by 'Bobbie dicklash' and more) it is not uncommon for desktop engineers to move from £18-25K P/Y roles to contact rates of £200-500 P/D (and i am not exaggerating) obviously any more tech/involved roles are financially rewarded in accordance (saw a tech Arch at £1.5K P/D, which is just silly money)!
    PS. REP and teach me how :twisted:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Having worked with the D.V.A I can assure you that you will not be drugs tested to get D.V clearance as per previous post. Any drug tests would be part of the emplyers remit, the field agents are busy enough without getting people to piss in pots.:biggrin

It's not what you disclose in the process that will get your application turned down, it's what you don't.

If gaining D.V clearance it will be valid for 5 years initially, although a check is made once per year with your employer to ensure it is still needed. After your first review it will then be valid for 7 years.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

If they suspect/know you have tried drugs within 5 years or have a recent drug offence then they they may request you undergo a drug test (PS I have discussed this with our head of security who performed my pre DV interview to decide my suitability for my DV)