Security Certification Rules Could Shake Up IT Management

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Security Certification Rules Could Shake Up IT Management

Requirements for professional security certification for IT workers in civilian agencies, now being readied by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), would have a major impact on how government and industry recruit, train and manage their IT staffs, a security expert said Wednesday.

"They are going to affect every one of us in the field," contractors and government employees, said George Datesman, a senior manager at Noblis Inc., a nonprofit high-tech consultant.
    Datesman -- who holds a master's degree in criminology and has 30 years experience in law enforcement, including a stint with the Justice Department -- said at a Digital Government Institute conference on cybersecurity that OMB is finalizing minimum requirements for professional certification. He had no time frame for their release.

To see the whole article, see here.

This applies to the US only, I wonder how people in the IT industry would feel if the UK gov brought in mandatory certs/quals. Maybe I'll start a poll... :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Crito
      Crito
      DoD 8570.01-M was revised 5/15/2008.
      http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

CompTIA Security+ qualifies you for IAT level 2 and IAM level 1, see appendix 3.