1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Certificates - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Node, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm thinking of entereing security world! Just wandering what other exams are there apart from CompTIA Security+ CEH and CISSP? Are there any other recognised certs out there?

Thanks!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Hi, you may want to check these two links out regarding Security certifications:

Link 1 & Link 2.

Those two links only covers security certs for support personnal and not security certs when it comes to programming. Hopefully I've said that right :)

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. Node

Node Byte Poster

which certs would you say are universally recognised?

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

A degree in Network Security, now I believe that is accepted all round the world as everywhere/everyones knows what a degree is.

But as for certs it does depend on what country your in, the industry, whether or not the person/company has heard of them (believe it or not, there are IT managers out there that do not know what the A+ is), etc. Comptia Security+ is a great entry level cert when it comes to security (it's not a entry level IT cert and it also sits at level 3 of the NQF), and is accepted in most countries* The MCSE: Security and the MCSA: Security is widely accepted, but really only in Microsoft networks - these while are great certifications to have, they won't help you if you're working in a Linux/Unix/Apple environment.

There are also the ISACA certs. Relatively new but there's been a big uptake. However I believe that the majority of the uptake has been in the US as it's part of the DoD program.

-Ken

*I can not and will not gurantee that it is accepted universally.

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip