Securing the Start Menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 5, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Found a flaw in security at a school I was at today that I thought I'd share. (Yes it was the same school that I've had all of the other problems at!)

Basically the Students all have a mandatory profile that they access, they also have a redirected Start Menu that is redirected to a share on the server.

What we discovered today is that if users double click on a program folder on that folder they open up a windows explorer window that allows them to browse up through the server structure, and ultimately the network, which for those of you who work in a school will know that this is a big no no.

After a lot of googling it seems that the easiest fix for this is to add a registry key that stops the explorer windows from openning. The registry key is as follows:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command]
    @="c:\\Windows\\system32\\net.exe"

You need to add the above to a .reg file and then you can either simply double click and add it to the registry manually, or, if like this school you have 650 workstations add it to a startup script batch file GPO.

8)