Secure web pages

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well even though we never got to find out what the root of the problem was, it was experience non the less. You now know that you can waste an awful lot of time for no financial reward at all. This happens in IT. You can't really charge a person for spending time researching their problem.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How true. Most people advertising for SOHO repairs use the first line of their ad to brag "no fix no fee".
    As technicians we need to know we can fix their problem or at least diagnose what is needed to repair the machine before leaving to ensure beer tokens are issued :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Welcome to IT, getting a ‘thank you’ from a client is a rarity!

Don’t worry though, I’m sure you will get another phone call as the ‘factory reset’ probably means your mate cant get on the internet and has also lost all her MP3s, some things never change! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

LOL Anyway i have another problem . My other mate has bought a brand new pc and ive tried to put his freeserve dial up back onb by clicking retreive accounts etc. everything goes good till i go on a web page, so whats causing this now. Surely it cant be a settings problem ? as its a brand new pc or am i being really thick here ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you need to elaborate a little bit more mate. What exactly happens when you try and surf the Internet?

6. zxspectrum

Well basically , ill connect to the net and it seems to take ages to search for a web page , in the mtoome lefton the screen it has a triangle with an exclamation mark , and says done but with erors on page ??

Im sure its something silly , i just dont know what ?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well most problems like that are caused by DNS issues but as it is dial-up and as you are receiving dynamically assigned IP configurations (IP address - DNS settings) it's a bit of a mystery.

I would ring Freeserve's tech support and see what they have to say. It's been a long time since I used Freeserve and they may now have a proxy server which might need some browser configuration :rolleyes:

Normally all you need to connect to an ISP and surf the net, is the phone number, a username and password.

As this is a new PC, I am reluctant to delve deeper at this point.

8. zxspectrum

Cheers for that bluerinse, ill do that tomorrow (wed) , as like your self im not really eager to get involved with it being a new pc. By the way ive been given a bottle of southern comfort for just setting the pc up how good is that, so theres a drop for everyone as long as they have it with a spleash of coke lol