Second shot with Microsoft and Prometric

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is a rant :x

I had a MS voucher that is due to expire next month, my Vue centre has tried to make the move to Prometric but due to technical reasons are unable to. The next closest testing centre is in Milton Keynes, they have approx a 2 months waiting list. So the next closest testing centre is in Coventry (on a good day it's about 1 hours travel, on a bad day up to 2 hrs and if there's an accident well you can forget about it).

Tried to book the exam via the Prometric's website and it just keeps on failing: "An error occurred, please check your details to see if the exam was booked" or some c**p like that, once I can understand, but 3 times on separate instances is taking the P**S.

So this afternoon I ring Prometric direct with my voucher code for my exam and my second shot voucher for my second shot, in case I fail the exam.

Guess what...

I can either use my voucher for the exam or my second shot voucher & pay by credit card, not both like with Vue.

So if I pass on the first time and I used my second shot, I'm out of pocket. If I fail on my first time, but used the exam voucher instead of the second shot voucher, I'm out of pocket again.

It's not nice, fair and in my eyes ethical - but hey, that's only my opinion and experience, ahhh!!!

BTW, I've booked my exam with the exam voucher, not the second shot voucher.

-Ken

p.s. I now feel alittle bit better, now that I've let off some stream :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I hope you let off your stream in the loo mate. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Kitkatninja

:lol::tune Of course :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ken,

Ran into the EXACT same problem the other day when booking 297
    (still have not booked because I'm deliberating on this)

it's utter shite, I get vouchers from my company, who don't exactly get a huge discount, yet I cant use second shot unless I pay for it myself on a card, i mean it's got to be just an incompatibility in their systems to accept two voucher codes, but they really need to sort that out, or MS need to drop the 'use second shot to register your test' and perhaps use a test confirmation number to validate your second shot attempt

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Kitkatninja

I know how you feel, once my son falls asleep, I'm writing to MS to complain. Not sure if anything will happen, but hopefully MS will consider using Vue again if enough of us complain. Never had that problem with Vue.

-Ken

6. Kitkatninja

Well I've sent an e-mail to Microsoft, here it is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening,

My name is Ken and I am a full-time IT Manager, as well as a part-time lecturer (MCP number: XXXXXXX). I am writing to inform you of my dissatisfaction with the recent actions of Microsoft, I'm referring to Microsoft's preference to using 1 testing centre only.

I will relay my experience:

I had a MS voucher that is due to expire next month, my Vue centre has tried to make the move to Prometric but due to technical reasons are currently unable to. The next closest testing centre is in Milton Keynes, they have approx a 2 months waiting list. So the next closest testing centre is in Coventry (on a good day it's about 1 hours travel, on an average day up to 2 hrs and if there's an accident well you can forget about it).

Tried to book the exam via the Prometric's website and it just keeps on failing: "An error occurred, please check your details to see if the exam was booked" something along those lines, once I can understand, but 3 times on separate instances for the same exam is unacceptable.

So this afternoon I ring Prometric direct with my voucher code for my exam and my second shot voucher for my second shot, in case I fail the exam.

Guess what...

I can either use my voucher for the exam OR my second shot voucher & pay by credit card, not both like with Vue.

So if I pass on the first time and I used my second shot, I'm out of pocket. If I fail on my first time, but used the exam voucher instead of the second shot voucher, I'm out of pocket again.

It's not nice, fair and in my eyes unethical.

And the phrase by Microsoft: "By working with one exam delivery partner, Microsoft Learning will be able to get more efficient--ultimately improving how things go for you when you're working on a Microsoft Certification." from here: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive...ing-announces-prometric-as-exam-provider.aspx does not apply, talking to other IT professionals, they have all experienced what I have. And they feel rather annoyed, dismayed and some are angry.

I've never experienced this with Vue, and this experience is making me reconsider whether or not to continue down the Microsoft certification route, not only for myself but for my department.

Sincerely yours

Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh well we'll see what MS replies

-Ken

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We'd look forward to hearing from Microsoft about this issue:) Fingers crossed.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got my own complaints with Prometric: one of my Server 2008 beta exams I took has been marked as a "No Show" on Prometric's site. :dry Two phone calls, and they STILL haven't been able to resolve it. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's all a bit of a joke really isn't it? I guess Prometric had deeper pockets when it came to securing the business. What a shame. :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Kitkatninja

Just wait mate, until the next MCDST you're going to teach when you're telling your students about this. Or when you sit your MCSDT/MCSA upgrades to Vista/2K8. You can go thru everything I've been thru, we can complain at work together :lol:

-ken

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... they finally resolved it... by giving me a free retake on 70-643. :rolleyes:

I ought to get TWO freebies... one to make up for the beta exam I *might* have passed, and the other to make up for the time I'm gonna lose taking the 70-643 exam twice. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Kitkatninja

Well I got my first reply from MS this morning:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Day Ken,

Thank you for your feedback.

We kindly inform that we have forwarded your opinion to our Program
    Manager.

The complaint was submitted on your behalf.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any discrepancy you may have
    experienced.

Should you have any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Kind Regards

Microsoft Regional Service Center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well lets see what happens next.

-Ken

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's the nicest generic "thanks, now eff off" letter I've seen.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685