Second Life

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by shambles, Jul 25, 2007.

1. shambles

shambles Guest

OK - we've had the Myspace/Facebook threads, now what about Second Life? Does anyone do it? If so... Why? What's it for? What is Web 2.0 anyway? Does anyone do any other virtual worlds (excluding the usual SF/Fantasy themed stuff)? Is there stuff happening in virtual worlds that doesn't involve sex? Or am I a prude? What's it all about?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

mmmmmm.... nope.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've never heard of it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Second life is a bit like the sims but with an actual virtual world were you can do stuff.

Its totally sh**

I downloaded it and went on it for about 2 minutes and thought this is balls and erased it never to come near my hard drive again.

dont know what web 2.0 is never heard of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not heard of Second Life? I'm surprised. :biggrin That has to be one of the most successful places at getting itself in the news so regularly! <grin>

Superficialy it looks like an online game. But, IMHO, as there is no real 'game-play' or goal, it seems to be more of a life-style place.

I have it on my PC, but rarely bother with logging on.

My current favourite is actualy a real 'game' (again IMHO) even though it often tries to promote itself as 'not a game'. This is Entropia Universe. There the goal is the rather more traditional one of improving your avatar and fighting/mining etc.

Unlike SL, where I was propositioned almost as soon as I logged on, there is little overt sexual stuff in EU.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Someone go proposition Harry's character in EU!! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. shambles

shambles Guest

I guess that is the puzzle for me. Games, I understand. there's an objective and some rules.

SL is very different. you could just play games, but you'd be missing the point. Trouble is, I don't know what the point is! I'm not sure if it is the future, or a distraction...

Surely someone has heard the phrase 'Web 2.0'? I'm pretty sure I haven't dreamt it!

8. greenbrucelee

Second life is one of those things that only Japanese people seem to understand but they try market it and it doesnt translate into english very well.

Like Pokemon and Ugi-oh and selling virgins panties in the railway stations :rolleyes: (yes that does happen)

Are you sure you dont mean USB 2.0 :biggrin

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I didnt think Second life was japanese, oh well :)

Second Life is more like a 3D chat room, its a place for people to escape but be almost real, not some axe toting dorf or a armed to the hilt battleship pilot
    I installed it once, didnt really think much of it, either, but each to their own i guess

Web 2.0 is MASSIVE at the moment, infact if you think about it, you have probably been using Web 2.0 for a substantial ammount of time, in fact thats one of the reasons Tim Berners-Lee felt that perhaps it wasn't the best term to describe the nets 'new age' (thanks to our great Web 2.0 friend Wikipedia for that tidbit)

Basically it highlights a paradigm shift in the way users interact with the web, what used to be just simple browsing to view what a site had to offer, is now very much a 'get out what you put in' sort of idea
    the webs level of user input has soared, things like wikis, social networks, communities such as flickr etc are all considered 'Web 2.0' whereby you dont just seek some information on something, but build a community around the inputs of many many people across the world

kthxbye

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Second Life is owned and run by Linden Labs - a West Coast USA company.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. shambles

shambles Guest

SL is very much like a chat room, but I suppose it fits the Web 2.0 criteria (whatever they might be) because there is quite a lot of user-generated content. The disappointing thing is that unless you are prepared to pay for virtual land and learn the building techniques, the content is always someone else's - although avatar modification is relatively cheap, if not free. I'd like to see it opened up a bit to the 'average' user - someone who won't want to pay and won't want to have to learn too much to get creative - a bit more like myspace etc...

I've been looking about SL for some months now - the place is huge! I quite like that there is no need to be a dwarf (unless you want to be one) and that you don't have to trade and fight.

But I still have no idea what else to do with it...

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Second Life is not a website, whilst its owners might try and jump on the current Web 2.0 bandwagon, its nothing more than a game, and games have long had user input in a Web 2.0 fasion (Anyone remember Meridian 59? even older MUDs. That ofcourse does not make them Web 2.0 games, a game is not the web!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. shambles

shambles Guest

But if it's just a game, you have to ask what big companies like Nike are doing in there... Companies playing games with us? Unheard of!

14. greenbrucelee

Sorry My mistake, I thought it was Japanese due to the fact that it doesnt make much sense, and generally there isnt anything to do on it.

If it were a game were you actually had a goal to aim for or something like that then I suppose it would appeal but there is no goal so what is the point?

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I thought web2.0 was all about web based applications and the extra functionality that they offered over and above traditional web pages. Eg, Google mail, google spreadsheet etc...

I haven't heard it used to describe social networking or wiki style sites.

As for Second Life, never tried it but heard quite a lot about it. It doesn't appeal in the slightest to me. If I had the time, I'd play a proper MMO rather than something like Second Life. Fair play to the people who are making a living out of it though. Quite a few people seem to be doing very well out of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada