Second jobs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

For any of you out there working in IT or aspiring to work in IT... are any of you holding down a second job? Either for enjoyment or the money?

I've worked in a nightclub for the last 6 years. I did bar work for 4 and now i've been doing door work for the last 2.

For me my role brings in extra £££ each week and also gets me away from PC's into a more customer focused role which is also a good laugh. (I worked every Saturday night and the occasional Friay as well)...

Anyone else do anything on the side for their own reasons?

Just wondering! :blink :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Pizza delivery... need some more money, not meeting outgoings... my pay in my first (IT) role is awful, my pay in the delivery role is awful... im awfully paid!

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep - my "second job" is one I hope to make my permanent "first job"... creating quality practice exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Yeh i do weekend portering work in the hospital where i do my Field Service Tech job doring the week.

It pays time and a half on a sat and double time on a sun so it brings much needed extra income in that i would simply just exist without.

The job can really vary from taking patients on x-ray trolleys to the dept from their ward, delivering specimins to labs, bed movement and the like.

The first time they asked me to help them take a dead body to the morgue i thought they were having a laugh but they were right they do that too!!

One time when i went down to the morgue i opened the door to put one of the bodies in (we do it in pairs) and there was already one in there sitting upright. My god if i ever jamp out of my skin it was that day i tell you!!:ohmy

Thing was the nurses forgot to leave the body flat once the person passed away, once the rigour mortis kicked in the body stays that way. i thought it was alive!!:ohmy

Sorry for the grim story but you did ask about second jobs!!

And no its not something i do in my stride!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

That's awful!:D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. Mr.Cheeks

i just remembered, i left that last week... it's getting too cold...

7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

I'm a paintball marshall for my local Paintball arena.
    I get to choose whether to work Saturday or Sunday and its whenever your free to do it, no commitment as such, very casual job which fits in nicely with my Helpdesk rota.

I enjoy it as it gets me away from the Helpdesk,/e-mails/girlfriend/ screaming 1 year old!!

Not bad pay, I get a bacon roll in the morning and a burger and can of drink for lunch for free, tea on tap all day plus there is loads of breaks as the games only last 15 mins a time so apart from gassing up the guns in between games im sitting around and mingling with the customers as much as I am running around a forest getting shot!

Plus its the only bit of fresh air and exercise I get these days.
    Oh and the sexy ladies come out to play in the summer! :)

Love it more than IT in the summer and we all have a right laugh shooting each other on the sly..

Anyone who has played paintball knows it bloody hurts especially in the winter!!! :eek:

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am just curious BBM but how many people (roughly) did/does Transcender use to write exams. I am just wondering whether to blame you personally for all those damn tough questions in the 70-216 and ISA 2000 exams or are you innocent in this regard? :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Used to deliver indian takeaways!

Got a free indian every night!

Had to leave otherwise I'd have needed a crane to lift me out of bed!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  10. BosonMichael

That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

I'm innocent for 70-216 and ISA 2000 - I started right after the core 2K exams were released. I can ask Josh if he was responsible for either of those, but I believe my friend Bob might have done one or both of those.

In the height of Transcender's day, way before the horrible acquisition by SelfTest, there were probably about a dozen writers/editors in house. Only two writers and one editor was brought over in the SelfTest buyout, and I was the last of the "original" Transcender writers to quit (my buddy and BrainBeacon partner Josh was the next-to-last).

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's very interesting - thanks BBM :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I don't work in IT at the moment but did hold down two jobs for a number of years, which was whatever branch of publishing I was in, plus worked freelance for a certain UK based daily national newspaper well known for having very Tory views and prone to sensationalism. May i add though that I only worked in editorial drawing the pages up and all political views expressed were not my own, thankyouplease :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  14. Mr.Cheeks

im helping my bro with his foreigners (jobs on the side) he's an Electrician, and boy, is that good fun.. especially, when your ripping out floor boards, and making holes in the wall! i get a cut from what he gets, last week, we installed a shower, and done the pipework, took 3 hours, and i got £30 for it, doesn't seem alot, but on that occassion, he done most the work, and to me, its all good (£10p/h not bad)

15. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

First job - IT
    Second job - IT

can't seem to get away from IT!

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

No second job unless I take on the odd homer.

Too much time voluteering my time to the local Sea Cadets :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Just a quick note to all you fledging IT staff out there
    pay attention to your contracts, some out there will specifically prohibit you from working a second job

As for myself, I barely have enough hours to meet my work load at a single job, let alone holding down two :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0