Second Hand PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asian_100, Jul 26, 2007.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

I just got a second pc. Its specifications are:

384MB Ram
    Pentium 2 CPU
    40GB harddrive
    Linux with Kubunti installed on it

I wwant help in knowing what to do next with it. I bought it to learn computer hardware and software. I don't have a Windows CD to install windows on it. What shall I do?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - the computer hardware is taken care of!

On the software front, it rather depends what you want to learn about. You could learn about Linux now, or you could buy a copy of Win98SE very cheaply to get some hands on on that. It is a bit underpowered for XP, but if you are patient it might do. You haven't mentioned the processor speed, so it is hard to tell.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont understand your question

You want to know what to do with it

With regards to not having a windows cd eerrrr how about buying one then you can make another partition and have two OS' but with those specs you may have to opt for windows 95 or something.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Whatever your heart desires... the computer is your playground. Mess with the hardware. Install software. Install another (legal) OS from scratch. Make a dual boot or multiboot computer. Attempt a backup and restore. Upgrade your hardware. You are limited only by your own imagination.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I would guess Win 2000 would work just fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I suppose win 2000 would but might be a tad slow, 95 or 98 should be ok though.

Depends on how much crap there is on the hard drive too,as you will rpobably know once hard drives start to get full things move slowly as there is more for heads on the hard drive to read.

So Asian100 I would clean up the disk if I were you before putting another OS on it

Dont know much about Linux and am not sure how similar it is to Unix (I know that) but use whatever the command is to clean up the disk and de-fragment it before creating any new partitions and putting windows on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Except there is no point in installing win95 or 98 for A+ - whereas there is in installing win2k.

And NO point in having linux (god it pains me to say that....)

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You could start studying for A+, and like the guys said here you could probably run windows 2000 on it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA