scrolling a nested table

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by sirdragon, Feb 6, 2004.

1. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

hey look I'm back again :eek: the bad penny returns :lol:

got a little problem, trying to set up a site without using frames, but keeping the same effects.

bit I am working on now is to get the test area to scroll over a background pic. background pic i can do, presumably the 'fixed' will keep it in place as well in tables as in layers....I hope.

however how do u get the nested table to stay fixed in size and scroll the text with the cell rather than enlarging the cell to fit the text and thereby losing the bgpic effect.....................hope this makes sense :?

cheers u bright ppl

martin

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

hi martin,

I'm not sure what your asking here,

You will not be able to add a scrollbar to a table. However, you can add a scroll bar to a <div> inside a table. here is an example -

HTML:
    <div style="background: #ffffff; overflow: auto; width:200px; height:150px;">INSERT YOUR CONTENT....IT CAN HAVE ANY HTML YOU WANT!!! </div>
    I've attached a zip file with a couple of examples one is the same as the above but with more text and the second is a guess at what your trying to achieve. These examples are very basic and can be modified if needed.

I've not done anything with the background as I'm not sure if this is the result your looking for.
    HTH :D

Attached Files:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

cheers SimonV this looks a promising way around the problem....as I didnt figure you scroll within a table but hey Im no expert :lol:

will give it a go and let you know :D :D :D

now all i gotta do is figure out how to get hold of the afore mentioned zip file :roll: :?

cheers Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

To get the .ZIP file mentioned above, in Si's post there is a grid, to the right of the grid there is a download icon, simply click on it and the download will comence (once you tell it where you want to save it).

HTH

EDIT

Just tried it myself and it does'nt work LOL. Siiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thats odd, it works fine for me and it thinks it been downloded 7 time so far. What actually happens when you click the download?

EDIT: I also just tried it with my test account and it works fine?? :eek:

6. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

:lol:

i was being a little sarky sorry....................
    it works fine....a little slow in becoming an active link but otherwise no probs :oops:

martin

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

My bad, was clicking on the little Zip icon and not the word 'Download'

:oops:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. sirdragon

sirdragon Nibble Poster

Hi SimonV

Script is working fine n dandy

only diff from my frames is the background pic is split in 2 by a scroll bar as it is spread over 2 cells in the nested table. - needed the 2 cells so that the text was in the right place...did the same with the frame as well-.

the test page is at http://www.sirdragon.btinternet.co.uk/noframesventure/products.htm

cheers for your help SimonV catch you next time :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Glad I could help.

If you need any more help just ask.