Scripting for technical side, writing to install apps and such

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by j1mgg, Feb 13, 2013.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Was looking for some help on where to get started on a little bit of scripting to get a basic knowledge. I work in support and would be looking to use it to automate stuff in the future like installs and such.

I mostly see batch files getting used for this so should I start learning to work with command line more or is it moving towards vr script to do it or something else like power shell?

Thanks for the help.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Bat file scripting is a great staple that everyone should know. Its sorted me out more times than I care to mention. However saying that power shell is being used more and more these days and with the huge array of cmdlets on offer depending on what you are doing, power shell is far more flexible than batch file scripting. But once you have learned one then the other is not too complicated to figure out.

There is also an app I've used several times called autoit that has a simple scripting language associated with it, with which you can create executable files from and various other things, its a diddle to pick up and can be very flexible and quick depending on what you want to do.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Any particular apps mate? Some will have a .msi that you can use to deploy.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

At the moment I wouldn't kind of bee 100% sure, but I am guessing it will be for automating installs to run them silently or with much user participation. I am hoping to go down the SCCM route and expected I may need some expierence for this. Also it is for a little bit of lunchtime studying, just feel my main studying I just can't pick and drop every 10mins and prefer to do that in the evening when I won't get interrupted.

As you can see I am not pretty sure, I just know currently we use some batch files to install some stuff and using a vbs script to remap drives .

Thanks again.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I guess in that case pick a task you'd like to do, and Google PowerShell and bat and vbs ways of doing it and first choose the language that feels the most logical and fluid for you to pick up. Whatever you want to do there are a million ways of it and no actual wrong answers

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

Microsoft Windows Scripting Self-Paced Learning guide, is a good starting place (quick note the book was released in 2004).

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA