Screen is Cracked??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sam 08, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Sam 08

Sam 08 New Member

Sorry bout this, its probabely a bit stupid to ask but i dropped me laptop of me bed this evening and now when i switch it on half of the screen works, half is black and it seems to have cracked allthought i didnt think laptops could. Im only 14 and so dont really know what im doing, is there an easy way to sort this or will it cost quite abit to get it sorted. Please be gentle with your replys i havnt got a clue.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome Sam.

It could be that the mesh or wire thats inside the screen has broken and would need fixing or it could be that it is completely knackered. I would ask a parent or gaurdian if they will take it to a repair shop for you as this isn't a job for an unexperienced person to try & fix themselves.

If the Laptop is under warranty then the warranty may cover this so you can just send to the manufacturer to get fixed for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Doubt this will be covered by a warranty to be honest but you might be able to get away with it. If it’s cracked then you can’t just phone up and say the screen is playing up, it will be fairly obvious that it has been dropped.

Get your folks to phone up tech support and find out what the deal is, they will be able to help and perhaps give you contact details of a laptop repair shop that they recommend.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. David S

David S Bit Poster

Sam
    Accidental damage to computers is covered on some home insurance policies. Get your folks to check.
    David.

WIP: A+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Although I don't know if there's actual physical damage done to the laptop (is there an actual crack that you can see? or are you assuming there is one?). It could be that the LCD cable got disconnected, it happened to me at work a few times. You'd have to get someone experience to troubleshoot the problem.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Check your warranty, i know dell complete cover would replace the laptop lcd, so check the laptop manufacturer may have a similar cover, which (fingers crossed) you may have.

WIP: LIFE
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

have you tried sellotape?:p:twisted::biggrin

Sorry just joking, I have to agree with the others. Do you know when the laptop was made and how long have you had it for also what make and model is it?

When you say half the screen...do you mean half the screen is shown in windows or when you switch on and see the bootup screen (before widows loads)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+